Ch 23: Don't you Wanna Taste my Rainbow Cake?

A/N. it doesn't take much effort to figure out whose sweatshirt that is.

~~

Axel POV:

She locked herself in her room.

How childish could this girl get? 

She has been asking for answers since the day I met her and when she finally starts getting them she runs away.

Stupid irrational human.

My tail flicked in annoyance.

I dont understand peoples fascination with that girl.

Why did her grandfather think she was so great?

Why do those stupid boys gawk at her like she's some celestial being when she walks down the street? What fascinates them so?

Why did I fall all over myself all those years ago for her without even even having met her?

I growled lowly, angry at the me from then for being such a fool. 

Why did I carry that stupid photo of a little girl around me for years?

Why is it still tucked between the pages of one of my books right beside the newer photo her grandfather had meant me to find after his death? the one with her sporting the most atrocious neon hair.

Another growl.

Why am I even still here?

I could be running around this realm causing as much trouble as I please but I'm choosing to stay and play house with an idiotic teenage girl and spend my days cleaning a candy shop. I had chosen the path as the old mans familiar, not as a babysitter.

but I'm sitting on a cream couch digging my sharp black nails into a decorative orange pillow instead.

How far I have fallen from the demon I used to be.

At least as the old mans familiar I was still maiming peoples lives.

If I had let Lola die as a child then I could be doing everything I wanted.

If I hadn't saved her and if he grandfather hadn't been so please he requested my staying even after his own death to be her companion as I was his.

If I had known who she really was I never would have agreed.

If I had just looked past a photo I wouldn't be here.

If she had just died...

If Leila handout tried to kill her.

Lelia.

Its because of that greedy whore I am where I am. Baring my teeth in a sharp snarl I called her to me.

That stupid cunt always came crawling when I called.

"Absinthe! How lovely it is to see you!"

I stared at her as she straddled me on the couch long nails running through my hair, wings beating softly. "Leila."

She gave a happy sigh, "Oh..I forgot how beautiful you are in this for-"

I gripped her throat with one hand and threw her off me, "I decided I'm going to kill you."

She gaped at me, "What?!"

I sent her a sharp look, my tail slicing angrily through the air, "If you had never tried to kill her I would never be in this mess. This is your fault"

Lelia looked dumbfounded, "you have got to be kidding! my fault?! No Absinthe this," she gestured at the pastel room around us, "tragic failure is all on you! I was there for you, ready to give you everything and you threw it away for a little girl in a photo."

I snarled, "I did no such thing."

her laugh was nothing more than a soft hiss, "Oh so you didn't leave my bed to run to the aid of a girl you never met, a little girl you thought might be pretty enough to fuck one day? You thought she would turn those big blue eyes on you and just drop to her knees and suck you off, well guess what darling she's apparently great at it but never for you."

My eyes had narrowed to slits and my temper was reaching its limit, my growls unending now. "That is never what I wanted, she was his-"

"Oh yes the old man, she was his everything after his son turned out to be a total bastard and his daughter died, even more so after his poor wife passed on as well. So as his familiar you took it upon yourself to run to her beck and call because his wrinkled ass mentioned she wanted something. Do you remember the spring before I tried to kill her?"

I bared my teeth at her.

"Oh how sweet sweet Lola wanted the flowers to bloom even though it was going to be a late spring that year." She sneered, "tell me Absinthe, how man hours and how many souls suffered so you could make a little girl you had never even seen in person smile a smile that you only got to see in a picture?"

"Shut up Leila you don't even know what you're talking about."

She hissed at me, continuing her rant, "I wouldn't have minded it, I would have written it off as your job as a familiar. What really did me in was the day I told you I loved you, you told me love was worthless and a waste of your time, and then you went off somewhere because it was nearing Lola's birthday and her grandpa wanted to give her an enchanted tiara from fairy stones. You left me to make costume jewelry for a six year old and then to add salt to the wound, as I destroyed furniture piece after piece in your home, photos of that stupid grin and mass of brown hair scattered on the floor. There wasn't a room without a picture of your little obsession!" She threw her hands in the air, "And look at you now! playing house with your little dream, you told me love was worthless, and maybe its true what i felt for you wasn't truly love but its damn hypocritical of you to be so obsessed over someone. A child no less and then throw those words in my face!"

I was about to lunge at her when Lolas voice echoed through the air, "...Axel?..I think I'm ready to try again...even if you suck. I'll try again for grandpa."

Instantly I reverted back to my human form, Shooting daggers at Leila, "get out before I turn you to dust."

She scanned me over, sneering, "Pathetic. You're not as pretty like this yet she would hate you the way you truly are. Your obsession would cringe in fear and run far from you so you stay in this form for what reason Absinthe? To win her heart? A heart you claim has zero worth? Its pathetic to even watch."

She disappeared just as Lola rounded the corner, rubbing at her swollen eyes.

I stared for a few moments at the over sized sweater she was wearing and at her mismatched knew socks, "are you wearing cake?"

She yawned and laughed a bit, "Don't you wanna taste my rainbow cake? get it because I'm rainbow and another name for my va-...what happened to you? you look even more bitter than usual? did someone burn you lava cake?"

Oh so she was less cautious around me when tired? Interesting. "Nothing happened Lola get your ass back in the kitchen if you're trying again."

She shuffled off, running a hand through her messy rainbow hair.

I watched her go.

I am not obsessed with her. The very idea of me obsessing over someone was absurd.