47. Shrek is Loved in Cumberland

Chapter 47

Shrek is Loved in Cumberland

See You Soon – Coldplay

Love Like This - RY X

~~~~~~~~~~~

I inhaled taking his hand and following him. Watching my step on the endless leaves and roots. "A year and a half ago... we resided here. Just you, the guys and I. Even Brooklyn and Allan when they used to date. And well... we spent a week here for your 16th birthday. But before I go into depth... you may want to know something." Jace stopped in his tracks looking at me straight in the eye, not a single inch of movement. His hand held the back of my head softly, caressing it. "Do you feel that?"

I felt a small pain from where he touched. I then put my hand to his and felt my head. A bumpy line seemed to follow. I nodded quietly, not really sure of what to say.

He caressed my hair down, kissing the top of my head. He held my hand tightly in his walking me further back in the woods. "The night of your 16th birthday, we were filled with alcohol. Well everyone but you and I. It was a night to remember, we drove off in random deserted places and played water balloon fights, threw streamers, went scavenger hunting.." Jace lightly laughed, looking down at the ground still navigating me where to go.

"We got lost in fields and ourselves that there wasn't really anything that could resist us. Carter was well.. he came along and was entirely infatuated with you." He glanced at me to see my expression. I didn't really know what to think or say. "Ryan brought him along on the trip after constant nagging." I nodded listening.

"At around 11:30 at night, we all split up for hide and seek. We went in partners..." Jace's jaw tightened. He looked around observing the area, it was already at the road. A crisped road that was deserted. No nature at the other side of it, just pure green grass and a bright sky. "See that, over there?" I looked up and saw a sign that said Welcome to Cumberland. I tried to hold a smirk in of the name.

Jace chuckled when he noticed, "That was you exactly on your 16th birthday. You were with me when we had to hide... you saw the sign and ran to it. Spreading out your arms you sang 'Hi I welcome you to Cumberland! Where we are supplied in plenty of cumforting resources and a hardful of bumpy rides."

I closed my eyes trying to imagine it. Glimpses of a dark road. Highlighted by only the moonlight and a few street lights. Running. Jace picking me up.

I opened my eyes and saw Jace stared intently at the sign, his jaw tightening. I touched his arm softly feeling him tense under me then relax. "Jace..."

"Skye..." His voice was soft and low, a tear escaping. My heart hurt seeing the tear roll slowly down his cheek. I leant my hand up to his cheek and held, wiping it off.

"What happened Jace... tell me... please." I whispered, unable to hold any strength as I sat oblivious of what has happened to me. He looked up at me, green eyes full of tears. His bottom lip trembling and his messy dark hair over his eyes.

Leaning down I kissed both of his tears, holding him into me tight. "This trip was to help you remember... for the past year and a half the doctors had told your family and us that everything, all the memories and moments... will come back to you. It would only be a few months. And that we should act as normal as possible. But a few months..." He shook his head, his hands turning into fists of anger.

"You were in a coma for 3 months..."

I couldn't hear him. His voice was so low and quiet. "Jace.. say that again." He glanced up at me and stared into my eyes. Instantly I wiped his new tears. I felt a pain pound at the back of my head again... but I ignored it.