61. Period.

Chapter 61

Period.

Drop the Game - Flume

~~~~~~~~

Dustin's POV

It's been 4 months since I ran away from the campsite. I was aware of my faults, crimes and the stupid things I've done. I thought in some way I was helping her. I thought things would somehow work out fine... I genuinely believed that. And somewhere deep down I still hope that.

I grew obsessive of Skye, through the journey of taking care of her from afar and the meaningfulness of wanting to help her grew to an infatuation of needing her always. I was so intent on fixing my mess that I fell in love with her in the process.

After that day in the camp of holding Skye's frail body in my hands while she suffered a seizure from head trauma, I knew I had to escape. My mind was getting clouded of all things that were her, it was unhealthy and fixated. When Jace came to her rescue, yet again... I saw him as the man I wanted to be. I wanted to be her hero, her saviour and her boyfriend.

A tinge of jealousy coursed through me as I watched Jace hold her in his arms. But that image was only a repeat. A repeat from the time I saw him hold her in the middle of the road, tears in his eyes and panic, and Skye almost lifeless.

I was bitter and jealous, some part of my brain sincerely thought I could make up for all horrible things I've done and all the pain I've caused.

And yet, the fucked up part of me instinctively thought .. run.

Sooner or later they'll figure out who I am and what I've done. I'd ruin my name, my family's name.. Gah, I sound just like my cruel parents. Caring more of my image than the crime that I've committed.

That day I also got threatening messages from Kaycee. She was in town and she was ready to stir up all kinds of drama. She was genuinely excited to meet Skye and all those around her, she was thrilled to ruin me and the work that I've put. Even if I got away with that day in camp, she'd turn up and reveal the truth. She relished in the idea of merciless plans, because if she wants something, she'll get it... nothing and no one would stop her.

Once I showed Jace the way back to camp, I immediately went to my tent and grabbed my belongings and stuffed it in my bag. I left the tent up, I didn't want them to know I was gone. Walking out I bumped into Carolina, I mumbled a response along the lines of going to sketch somewhere and then I left.

I since then went back to the city and resumed my life of debutante balls and money making but I still kept a low profile. It made my parents beyond happy to have me back, but it made Kaycee fuelled with hatred. I haven't responded to her or allowed her to get to me, I only know now that she now has moved into the house I once occupied.. right next to Skye's.

I have never loved a girl like I loved Skye. But then again, I don't know if I was in love with her or the idea of her. A day has not gone by without her on my mind. Her light brown waves, her hazel eyes so darn close to being gold, her intoxicating laugh.. her smile, her dirty mind and everything that was her.

I've changed my number since then, there's no way other way that Skye or anyone from there could contact me. I know now that's she's in safe hands by many loved ones, she doesn't need me, want me, I'm just causing more pain for her. I was what was holding her back from flourishing, I was triggering her harsh memories, I was selfish and keeping her to myself.

I sat in my penthouse that overlooked the ocean and the city. I was 50 stories high and the view was impeccable. I sat in the lounging area that was all windows allowing the day light to shine through. It was sunrise, the warm sun setting the whole apartment in a orange glaze. I painted away at the canvas in front of me, the muse being the girl I once knew. The girl on my piece was walking towards the sunrise, bare back and a white flowing lace skirt falling down to her feet. She was almost floating as the ground wasn't concrete or grass, it was a transparency of the warm colours of the morning dew.