30. The Fallen Angel

Chapter 30

The Fallen Angel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Echo - Jason Walker

Cut - Plumb

All I Want - Kodaline

Stay with Me - Sam Smith

(Listen to these songs while the story progresses)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My heart dropped faster than the speed of light. I could feel my insides churn and dysfunction. I thought dad was here? I quickly fumble a reply with a dozen questions, what happened? Where is the hospital? Who in the rightful screwed mind would hurt Jace? And where was I when this was happening?

I felt my hot tears spill down my cheeks unexpectedly as I grab my shoes and hoodie and bolted down the stairs.

"Skye... what's wrong?" Jayjay asks with his worried eyes.

"Jace.... Is in hospital.... We have to go now!" I tried to say loud enough between each painful breath of crying. All the other guys stared in disbelief then were instantly covered in panic. We all shuffled to Arthur's car and piled in; I couldn't speak or say anymore other than the hospital. I just sat at the front with Arthur driving, silent.

I lean my chin on my curled fist and stare at nothing in particular in the open window, except thanking the faint breeze that would pass. I close my eyes letting a few tears escape feeling that emptiness. Emptiness I always get if Jace isn't here...

I remember I went to camp with Brooklyn a couple of years back for a couple of weeks, and being without Jace left me with this bareness and ache.

I smeared my hand with my tears and continued to visualise my happy best friend and some of our favourite moments. My favourite moments.

When I was 7 it was the first time I shared a cookie with Jace. He was so happy, he kissed my cheek constantly then stopped and stared at me in shock. I couldn't help but go red and kiss his cheek back. I remember seeing him smile in a way I see him rarely smile, that kind of smile where his eyes squint a little and his dimple are so visible. Afterwards, we cracked the cookie in half like bread and made a peace offering to each other that we'd be best friends forever.

I sniffle a little with my lips curling upwards from the memory. I felt warm hands rub my shoulders a bit, I turned seeing Sammy giving an apologetic smile.

"He'll get through it, he's a tough cookie" Sammy says soothing me a little.

I scrunch my nose up and grin lightly, "Yeah... he is"

______________

I run to the front desk in desperation of what room Jace is in. I need to see him now, right now.

Tears outflow my eyes like a waterfall as she hurriedly looked up his name on screen and told me. The other guys followed on behind as I bolted to the room.

Slow Motion.

Is all I could think.

Slow Motion...

I walked in with my heart pounding, finding my parents sitting in seats in front of the closed room crying their eyes out. My mum's face lifted from her hands and met mine, she raced over hugging me tight.

"W-what happened?" My voice broke trying to be strong and fight back tears.

"Car crash Skye..." My mum wept, sobbing in my arms.