49. Goldilocks

Chapter 49

Goldilocks

Scars to Your Beautiful – Alessia Cara

~~~~~~~~~~

Brooklyn held the well for a while. Her eyes diverting back and forth from her nails to us. Jace held my back gently, whispering, "I'll go talk to Chandler.." I nodded in return. He gave me a quick peck on the lips then left. I bent down crawling in, trying to avoid the cards before settling down beside her.

While I waited for her to answer, I slowly observed her natural features. Something I haven't seen in a while.

4 Years Ago

I laughed, skipping around with my new formed friend. Her name was Brooklyn, we met through a writing workshop. Not that she enjoyed writing but had heard good looking boys were coming, that and she was new to our town so she had to mingle in before school starts, somehow.

I skipped up the stairs on the play equipment, leaning over the sliding down pole I gripped the top and hung loosely. "Why are you wearing boy clothes?" Giggled Brooklyn, sitting down below me in a pink flowery dress.

I jumped down beside her and shrugged. "It's comfortable. That and I really like this Nirvana Tshirt." I leant over and held a strand of her incredibly curly locks. In return she held one of my loose waves.

"Your hair is really nice, it's like Shirley Temple hair!" I complimented. Brooklyn was a sweet girl, she was definitely one of those 'girl next door' types. Brooklyn frowned at my inclusion and shook her head, "I don't like it... I want to straighten it. This boy I liked said it looks like a bird's nest."

I frowned shaking my head, "Are you kidding? Your hair is gorgeous! Watch.. the first day of school all eyes will be on you. That guy is an idiot and will realize, his small sized wiener will never be as long and luscious as these locks!" I grinned triumph.

Brooklyn looked at me funny and began laughing, she looked down at her hair and smiled. "I have my mother's hair... Only thing I really have of her."

Frowning, I shuffled forward. "You have her though, and probably inhabit heaps more of her genetics."

Brooklyn sighed and fixed her ruffles on her dress. "She passed away to Cancer last year... her clothes? My dad was too hurt to ever have the strength to see her belongings again, he'd mostly break down on the spot so he gave them away. I have my dad's eyes though, but my mum's crazy locks... I have, I don't like it as much... I don't know why, I think it suits her more than it suits me."

"I'm sorry about your mother... but I'm telling you, I bet she finds you beautiful in any form you are and I love your hair!" She just shook her head and went back to playing with her dress.

This girl was crazy, she was the prettiest girl I've ever seen. 13 Years old, icy blue eyes and golden locks that travelled for days. If I introduced her to the guys, I bet they'd be drooling like crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mama, I'll get it!" I ran downstairs tripping on my untied laces. I was heading to the door, it would be the first time Brooklyn met the guys. "Okay Baby! Just baking them brownies, Oh Jacob... is that weed? No no!" "Weed brownies!" "Jacob!" "Okay! Okay!" I shook my head knowing my parents were joking... I think.

"Hold on there Cookie! Let me keep up!" Jace was trotting down beside Ryan, both pushing each and laughing to reach the door.

"So how pretty is this girl?" Ryan smiled widely, nearly tripping on the last step and standing in front of me.