38

" Hello?"

" Hey Vi. Just wanted to let you know I'm alive and I'll be home for dinner in time."

" OH MY HOT CHOCOLATE FUDGE! WHAT HAPPENED?"

" Oh I'll tell you when I get home. I just want to call and tell you I love you and Tate and I'm glad we are friends."

" I love you too! Now please come home."

" I will head that way after I take care of something."

" Okay."

" Bye Vi."

I hang up and got into the truck. After we get back and have Walters in full custody, I go to my team and thank them for their help. I know that it was a hard mission, but they didn't give up hope. I walk to Smith's office and knock.

 " Come on in."

 " Smith.."

 " Good job out there today Parker. It's good to see you fighting hard again."

" Smith I have something to tell you. It might be a little hard but it is what it is."

" What is it Parker?"

" Sir, I am giving up my position."

 " What? Why? You just came back a few weeks ago."

 " Yes sir, I know. After today's mission I got to thinking...there is more to life than going after criminals and getting my life almost taken. I want to do more with my life. Hell, my best friend is about to get married in a week and a half and I want to be there. I also want to see them bring home their first baby and I want to be there for that baby."

 " So are you saying what I think you are saying?"

 " Yes sir....I'm resigning. Thank you for the opportunity of working here, but I don't think this is what I want to do. Here is my gun and my badge....I'm gonna miss you, but it's for the best."

 " I understand Parker. Thank you for working with me and for being the best agent a boss could ever ask for."

I give Smith a hug and walk out the door. I don't want to start crying nor did I want to make this harder for him. I walk out and tell the team....they all give me a hug and they said they would always remember my words of inspiration. I walk out, get in my car and drive home. I have better things ahead and it is going to be for the better.