Chapter 16- Bad Influence

Two weeks of no communication with Flynn. He came back to school but ignored me. And I wasn't the type to just run over to him and say,"Over here! Come talk to me! Talk to me! TALK TO ME!" I wasn't that desperate..Okay, maybe I was but the point is..I didn't have enough courage to run after him..I stand corrected, hop. When Eva and Heather came by, I avoided them, hiding in my room until they were gone. Flynn would look at my bedroom window, frown and then go into his house. I mean, what did he want me to do? May helped me around everyday, talking my head off as usual. Ninety-nine point nine percent of the time, I couldn't hear what she was saying, because I was worried about Flynn.

I watched the doctor cut my cast off. "Six weeks of jumping around on one foot like an idiot,"I shook my head.

She laughed. "I know the feeling. It was my entire leg and I was just eight years old."

"Ouch,"I crinkled my nose,"How'd it happen?"

"Fell off of a tree."

"Wow. So, you were a tomboy?"

"More like a copy cat. My brothers climbed trees, so I thought I could too...There,"she put the cast aside.

I looked at my foot. "Thank you very much,"I smiled at Doctor. Williams.

"No problem. You can walk on it, but as you can see, it's swollen so be careful."

"I will."

* * *

I was finally walking to class on my own again. Flynn would've been so happy..but we weren't talking to each other.

I walked over to my seat and sat down. Flynn wasn't in yet. I had to build up the courage to tap him on the shoulder. It had been two weeks and days of sitting behind him not knowing what to do. This had to change.

When he walked into the classroom, he face down as usual. He sat in front of me and opened his notebook.

I tapped my fingernails on my desk nervously, then quickly nudged his shoulder.

He turned around and looked at me.

"Is there...something wrong..like, between us?,"I looked at my hands," I mean, not like relationship wise. Like, friendship wise. Because you're not talking to me and I feel terrible." When I looked up again, I realized that he had turned back around. "Okay..If that's how we are then....Whatever,"I shrugged angrily, but I wasn't angry. I was broken hearted.

"Harley,"he looked at me. He looked sad. "Can we talk after class? Not now..please." He turned back around.

I sighed. At least he said something to me.

* * *

Everyone started walking out of the classroom.

He stood up. "Do you need..help?,"he looked at my foot. "You got your cast removed. Wow." He put his hands on his sides. "And here I thought I had to lift you up again,"he chuckled.

I stood up. "I'm not funny-laughing. I'm not laughing. You need to tell me what's going on with you..,"I pointed at myself,"and me...,"then I pointed at him. "The both of us."

"You just pointed at-"

"I know."

He chuckled, then his smile wiped off. "My mother doesn't want me talking to you,"he pointed at himself trying to make the situation a joke. "See what I just did there?,"he smiled.

"Wow, Flynn. Just wow,"I started walking away.

"Too soon?,"he followed me.

We both walked out of the classroom.

"Harley,"he held my hand, but I yanked it away. He quickly grabbed it again.

Well that's a first. I raised my eyebrows at him in shock.

"I'm sorry. I had no choice."

"Since when do you have no choice? You never listen to your mother. You're suddenly listening to her now?"

"I..It's not that I don't wanna hang out with you, because I really like you...as a friend. But my mom thinks it's bad influence."

"Who's "it" Flynn? Me? Am I the bad influence? Because I'll show your mother bad influence-,"I clenched my fist in his face.

"Me, Harley. I'm your bad influence. Well..I can become your bad influence."

"Are you kidding me?,"I giggled not sure of what he was saying.

"After I got suspended she got really mad. Hit me in the back of the head. Told me that she was disappointed in me. Then she told me to leave you alone. When I asked her why she said that I was a bad influence to my brothers..,"he shrugged,"Therefore, I can be a bad influence to you."

"That doesn't make any sense. Your mother doesn't even like me. She started those rumors about me being a devil worshiper. She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you. She probably likes you more than she likes me. She only said those things to get back at your mother and she didn't intend on it spreading like that. If she wanted you to look bad she probably would've told everyone that you're experimenting with lesbianism-"

"I'm not experimenting with anything."

"She thinks otherwise....You're like the daughter she never had and I'm like the son she never wanted."

"Don't say that-"

"It's the truth. Anyway, I have no reason the take care of you anymore, so I have no excuse for hanging out with you."

"We can make an excuse."

"What do you mean?"

"You accidentally hit me, and I got a black eye."

"Harley,"he chuckled.

"Come on. It'll work. May's amazing with make up."

"Clown make up. It wouldn't look real enough."

I smiled. "Then you can do it for me."

"What?"

"I saw what you did for the haunted house last year. Come on Flynn? Please!,"I jumped up and down.

"Alright. Alright, fine."

"Yay!,"I hugged him.

"I'll do it. If it makes you happy."

"You make me happy-"

"What?,"he looked down at me.

"What?,"I looked up at him.

He squinted at me and smiled.

I let him go.

"Catch you later, alligator,"he spun around and walked backwards.

"In a while crocodile,"I wiggled my fingers at him.

He laughed and then ran off.

I let out a long sigh. He was talking to me again. Finally.