Chapter 67- The Real Reason

Just to let you know, my family's nothing like this...Sure, we have our falling outs and we're not perfect but..we're not like this at all.

"So,"Flynn squinted and pointed at me,"your mother and your Nona-"

"Nana,"I corrected him.

"Nah' whatever, and your mom fight because your mom in the KKK? But her husband's Indian."

"She's not in the KKK. She just has a free mouth and doesn't think before she speaks."

"Reminds you of anyone?"

I rolled my eyes. "The last time I saw my Nana was in New York..We had to visit them. Me and my dad...I was thirteen..And my mother refused to come with us..because she hated my Nana. Then we came back and it was like she forbid him from seeing his own parents."

He held my hand. "Maybe...your Nana will open her eyes for her. I've heard your mom say things but I know she never meant them to come out..the way they do....She'll realize that."

"I sure hope so...because it's breaking my family up,"I started crying again.

He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his shoulder. "Don't cry, Harley...,"he chuckled,"God, you're making me sad."

I looked at him.

He was blinking away tears.

"You're crying for me?,"I smiled at him.

"I'm not crying...I just can't stand the thought of you in pain."

I smiled at the floor. "You're that much in love with me."

He kissed my forehead and held my cheeks. "I'm that much in love with you."

I smiled at him, then jumped at the sound of my mother's voice. I quickly got off the couch and ran over to the window.

She was walking over to her car in tears. My dad was following her and my grandparents stood on the steps. Nana was in my grandfather's arms. She was crying too. My mother drove off and my father started wiping his cheeks.

I quickly opened the door and ran across the street. "What's going on?,"I looked at my father.

"Nothing sweety,"he wiped his cheek,"..Just..come inside okay?"

"Curtis,"my grandfather called him. "Let her go back..We need to talk..alone."

I looked at my grandmother. She was weeping.

"Go back, Harley,"dad sighed,"I'll call you later, okay?"

"Dad, what is happening?,"I cried.

"Go! Harley..go."

"But...,"I took a deep breath and slowly walked back across the street.

Flynn met me at the end of the steps. He put his arm over my shoulder and helped me up the steps.

I walked over to the couch and sat down burying my face in my knees.

"Harley, don't cry,"Flynn sat beside me.

"Something's happening Flynn,"I looked at him. "I can feel it...Something bad is happening."

"They just had a fight that's all."

"Their fights don't end like this....What if..what if they're getting a divorce? What if...what if mom left us? Flynn! I've gotta go home!,"I shouted standing up.

He grabbed my arm. "Harley, I can't let you go back over there. Your dad said that he will call you when he's ready for you. Sit..please."

I slowly sat down. "I can't do this..I need to know what's happening."

Flynn held my closer. "I'm sure it's nothing...Okay? Just...lay down okay?"

I slowly laid down on his lap and cried till I fell asleep.

* * *

I woke up to the sound of Flynn's door bell ringing. I quickly got up and rushed over to the door.

"Harley,"my dad hugged me. "Come home...We need to talk."

I immediately started trembling. I looked at Flynn. "Flynn?"

He looked at me.

"I need you to come with me."

"No,"dad shook his head,"this is a family matter."

"Then I'm not coming."

"Harley-"

"I'm not leaving without him. Whatever it is..he needs to be there with me."

Dad looked at him, then nodded.

Flynn got up and walked over to me, then held my hand.

My mother's car was in the driveway again, so I knew it was something else. She would never come back to a crime scene.

I walked up our steps and entered the house.

They were all sitting in the living room. My mother was sitting next to Nana, comforting her as she cried. Grandpa was just sitting there, looking at me.

My dad walked over to his chair and sat down. "Sit Harley,"he looked at me.

"No! Tell me what's going on first."

"Harley,"Flynn put his hand on my shoulder,"just..sit."

"No,"I shook his hand away,"tell me what's going on!"

It was quiet then my father opened his mouth.

"Your grandfather has pancreatic cancer,"he looked at grandpa.

"What?"

"He only has a few months..or less."

"What?,"I started shaking. I filled up with rage instead of sadness. "Is that why you came here? After four years? To tell me good bye?"

"Harley,"grandpa tilted his head.

"No, I don't wanna hear it....I don't want to hear anything from any of you!..,"I spun around to run up the stairs but when I looked at Flynn and I saw the tears in his eyes. I broke down.

He wrapped his arms around me and put his cheek on my head.

I looked at my grandfather. He was crying.

"Well...,"he frowned,"I can check tellin' all you off my bucket list."

I didn't have enough time with my grandfather and now my time with him was limited...Wow life...just wow.

I literally cried writing this chapter.
It's dedicated to my grandmother. She died earlier this year and I couldn't go to her funeral. So..this is dedicated to her. ),: