Chapter 3

**George's POV**

"It's almost Christmas," I sigh, leaning back in my chair. Maddie doesn't look up from her book where she's scribbling away.
"We're on holidays," I complain lazily, "let's play chess or something."
"If I get this done now I won't have to think about it during the holidays," she mutters, "I'm almost done."
"Speaking of holidays," Fred says, sitting down with us, "are you going home?"
"Wait... Done!" she throws her quill down with a flourish and stretches her arms, "uh, no, I'm going to stay here."
"Us too!" Fred announces, "mum and dad are off to visit Charlie, so we got the boot."
"These holidays will be great," I grin, "I can't wait!"

I wake up on Christmas morning to Maddie jumping on my bed.
"Get up! Get up!" she yells, leaping from my bed onto Fred's.
I sit up, yawning, and see she's brought her presents in to open with us. I see with a jolt of guilt her pile is abouta quarter the size of Fred's and mine. She doesn't seem to notice, though.
"Aw, you're mum's so nice!" she says, pulling on a thick, black,'Weasley jumper' with a red 'M' on the front.
"Mum know you love her chocolate fudge," I tell her, "she makes it specially for you."
"She says it's so nice to cook for someone whoappreciates it," Fred says, mimicking mum.
"Who's that from?" I ask as Maddie opens an envelope.
"Uncle Remus," she replies, reading it, "just saying Merry Christmas."
I peep over her shoulder and see that he's written an apology for not sending a gift. As I read a tear drops onto the parchment, blotting the ink. I throw a present to her to distract her.
"That's from Fred and I," I tell her, "thanks for the frogs and fireworks, by the way."
"You're welcome," she says, discreetly wiping her eyes as she opens the gift.
We'd thought long and hard about what to get her. Usually we'd just get her some pranking stuff, but she'd been a bit down after getting some bad news from home, so we decided to get her something really special. A littlejewellery box that when you open it plays music and has a photo of the three of us in it.
"It's beautiful!" she says, hugging us, "thank you!"
"Let's go see Ron and Harry, shall we?" I say, noticing she's finished opening her presents. Fred opens his mouth to protest, but I give him a meaningful look and he stays silent.
"Merry Christmas!" we cry, bursting into Harry and Ron's dorm. Shortly after we're joined by Percy who has his jumper draped over his arm. Fred and I promptly force it over his head.

**Maddison's POV**

"Had a good Christmas?" I ask Harry as we lounge in front of the fire. He nods sleepily.
"Best ever," he murmurs, "you?"
"Great," I reply with a small smile, "just peachy."
* * *

"I cannot, I will not believe it's almost the summer holidays," I tell Fred and George, "this is getting ridiculous! We're almost in fourth year! We'll be doingour OWLs soon!"
"Not for another two years," Fred says, "now, let's not think about school and enjoy the sunshine."
"Oi! You three!"
"They sound of hell calling," George groans, sitting up, "what's up Oliver?"
"Have you heard?" Oliver says, "it's all around the school! Harry, Ron and Hermione went down the-"
"We know the story, Oliver," I interrupt, "we even know about Harry facing You-Know-Who."
"Did you know he can't play Quidditch on Saturday?" Oliver demands, "did you?"
"Crap!" I groan, "who'll seek?"
"You'll have to," Oliver says, "we can get Katie Bell to be a stand in Chaser..."
Oliver walks away, muttering to himself.
"Aw, great," I sigh, "I hate seeking."
"You're good at it, though!" George says.
"Not on the school brooms!" I retort, "they're slower than a snail! We've got no chance."
"Maddison. Harry Potter almost died and all you can worry about is Quidditch," Fred says, "shame on you!"
"You're becoming like Oliver," George says sorrowfully. I poke my tongue out at him.
"Oh, by the way, you're coming to stay with us these holidays," George tells me, lying back in the grass and closing his eyes.
"I know, Uncle Remus wrote and told me," I reply, "I can't wait."

"Look," Oliver paces back and fourth infront of us, "we're going to need a miracle. Maddison, I know you don't usually play Seeker, but you're good. We all know that."
"Not on this broom, I'm not," I point out, "even if I do see the snitch it'll take a miracle for me to reach it before the other seeker."
"Do your best," Oliver says in a tone that implies I win or die trying. Literally.
"Right, it's time, get out there and win!"
"You guys will still let me stay if I mess this up, right?" I whisper to Fred and George.
"No promises."
As soon as the game begins I have to fight the urge to swoop down and join in and focus on finding the snitch. The other seeker is hovering at the same level as me, but on the other side of the pitch. I see a flash of gold and go into a dive. I see the other seeker react and follow me. I have to barrel roll to avoid a bludger and loose sight of the snitch. Thankfully, so did the other seeker.
"Come on, Black!" Vanessa Clark, the Ravenclaw girl who hates me, yells, "what're you doing? You're not a seeker!"
I ignore her taunts and dodge another bludger. Damn Fred and George!