Chapter 26

**Maddie’s POV**

“I’m telling you, it won’t work!” I tell Fred for the billionth time. He just rolls his eyes.

“It will work!” he insists, “we’ve brewed it perfectly-“

“The only thing you ever have brewed without my help,” I comment, “but still, Dumbledore will have thought of it.”

“But maybe, because it’s so simple, he won’t have!” Fred exclaims.

“Well, the other schools are tomorrow,” I sigh, “I suppose that’s when you’ll be judged.”

“Excellent,” Fred grins. I lean back against the tree we’re sitting under.

“I’m so tired,” I mutter.

“Why though?” he asks. I shrug.

“Not sleeping.”

“Because of-“

“Maddie!”

I look up and see Angelina walking towards us, looking concerned.

“What’s up?” I ask. She kneels beside me.

“I… Umm, I was just talking to Amy Drew-“

“Vanessa’s friend?” Fred asks sharply. Angelina nods. I sigh deeply.

“What now?”

“Oh, I umm…” Angelina looks extremely nervous.

“Spit it out.”

“I just thought, maybe you should know… But maybe it’s better if you don’t…”

“Ange, just tell me.”

She sighs heavily.

“Vanessa and George are sleeping together,” she says. I sit up straight and stare at her.

“You’re kidding?” Fred explodes angrily. Angelina shakes her head.

“Apparently they’ve been-“

“I don’t want to know!” I yell. I scramble to my feet and run off, towards the castle. I find the nearest empty classroom and duck inside. I sink down at one of the desks and bury my head in my arms, sobbing.

“Hey,” Fred puts his arms around me. I sit up, wiping my face.

“Does this pain ever end?” I ask, over dramatising it with a half-smile. Fred chuckles and brushes my hair off my face.

Before I know what’s happening our lips are pressed tightly together and my hands are tangled in his hair.

“Whoa!” we both pull away at the same time.

“That was weird,” Fred says, “enjoyable and all, but-“

“Definitely not right,” I agree.

“I hope no one saw,” Fred says, motioning at the classroom door. I shrug.

“Who cares?” I sigh, “it won’t matter anyway.”

“Is it true?” Alicia asks me at lunch.

“What?” I laugh, “I can’t read minds.”

“You and Fred were making out today!” she whispers.