Chapter 8

**George's POV**

"And then the dwarf said to the leprachaun-"
"RONALD WEASLEY!"
For a split second I actually thought mum was in the hall. I spun around to see Ron shrinking in his seat and in front of him a Howler.
"I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED!"
I see Maddie walk in the hall and wave her over.
"Oh and Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud!"
"What was that about?" Maddie asks, sitting down.
"The car," Fred replies shortly.
"Are you alright?" I ask. Maddie nods slowly.
"Just tired," she sighs, "I didn't sleep well last night. What do we have first?"
"Transfiguration," McGonagal says, handing us out timetables, "and I hope that you three will try to apply yourselves this year."
"Professor," Maddie sighs, "haven't I kept my rank well?"
"Maddison, we both know how intelligent you are, how ever, these two have been getting through by the skin of their teeth," McGonagal replies. Fred and George pretend to be offended.
"Oi, you three!" Oliver appears behind us.
"If you tell us we have Quidditch today I'll slaughter you," Maddie says bitterly. Oliver looks taken aback.
"What's wrong with her?" he asks.
"Not sleeping," Fred replies.
"Well, you'd better start sleeping," Oliver says, "we have Quidditch on Saturday."
"Shoot me," I beg Fred, "please!"
He grins and ruffles up my hair.
"Come on, we'll get to Transfiguration on time," he says, "lull McGonagal into a false sense of security."
"Today, we will be learning to transform rats into-"
"Maddie?" I ask, touching her face.
"No, Mr Weasley," McGonagal says, "and please do not-"
"Professor, I think she's fainted!" Fred says, brushing her hair off her face. McGonagal comes over and moves her wand of Maddie's head. Slowly Maddie opens her eyes.
"Sorry," she says, sitting up, "fell asleep."
"Perhaps you should go and have a lie down," McGonagal suggests.
"No, I'll be fine," Maddison protests.
"You're paler than Nearly Headless Nick!" I tell her.
"And your skin feels like you've been swimming in the lake in winter," Fred adds.
"I'm fine," Maddie insists. McGonagal shakes her head.
"Miss Johnson, please asscort Miss Black to your dormitory," she says. Angelina gets up and takes Maddie's arm. Reluctantly, Maddie allows herself to be lead out.
"Now, today we will be learing to transform rats into..."
"How is she?" I ask Angelina after dinner. Alicia comes down from the dormitory and shakes her head.
"She's still sleeping," Alicia says.
"She'll be fine," Angelina assures us. Alicia doesn't look so sure.
"Mr and Mr Weasley?"
We turn around and see McGonagal walking towards us.
"Is Miss Black up and about yet?" she asks. We open our mouths to say no-
"Yes," Maddie appears, looking almost back to normal, "I'm back."
"Oh, good," McGonagal says, "you have work to catch up on."
"Yes professor," Maddie replies.
"You were sick almost a week," I remark.
"Four days!" she laughs.
"Oliver's been mental," Fred says, "he might die when he sees you."
We walk into the hall and something hits Maddie on the side. Sure enough, it's Oliver.
"You're right to practice?" he asks anxiously, letting go of her.
"I dunno, I think I have a couple of broken ribs," she groans, rubbing her side.
"Good, let's go," he says.
"We haven't eaten!" Fred and I protest. Maddie and Oliver are already rounding up the others.
"Let's go," Fred and I sigh to each other.
"Are you sure you're alright to fly?" Alicia asks Maddie anxiously in the changing room.
"I'm fine," she replies.
"That's the spirit!" Oliver says, clapping her on the back, "let's go!"
We walk out on the pitch and take off.
"I'm letting the snitch out!" Oliver yells to Harry, "Girls, grab the Quaffle!"
Alicia grabs the quaffle and throws it to Angelina.
"Maddie, take the other goal posts," Oliver commands, "we'll rotate."
"Let's do this," I tell Fred. We take off at the same time and swoop up to protect the team from the bludger - we only use one during practice.
"Close call!" I yell to Harry as he narrowly avoids a bludger to the head. He grins and swoops off to track down the snitch. I spot the bludger heading for Angelina and am about to hit it when I hear a blood curdling scream. I turn and see Alicia covering her mouth and flying for the ground. Oliver speeds past me and dismounts near the other goal posts. It doesn't take long for me to realise who fell is.
"Is she alright?" I ask, shoving past Alicia who looks as if she might faint. Oliver picks Maddie up. He's white to his lips.
"Is she... Is she..." I start to shake. Fred grasps my shoulder tightly.
"Put the balls back," Oliver says softly, walking away. Feeling numb I help Fred catch the bludger. Harry catches the snitch and Angelina brings the Quaffle back. Alicia is shaking almost as badly as I am.
"Let's go to the hospital wing," Fred says, putting one arm around her shoulders and one around mine.
When we reach the hospital wing we see Oliver sitting outside the door with this head in his hands.
"No!" Alicia gasps. Oliver raises his head. His eyes are dull.
"Is she alright?" I demand. He shakes his head.
"Is she... She's not..." I feel my throat close up.
"She's not dead," McGonagal says, setting outside. I look at her, hope in my eyes, but at the look in her eyes all hope fades.
She might not be dead, but I'll bet no one's ever been closer.