Chapter 46

I love that you guys are getting into the little love triangle going on here! Please don't be too harsh on Maddie... Or George for that matter! remember that they are young! lol thanks for reading! Enjoy!!

_________________________________________________________________________________

**George’s POV**

“Mum? MUM!” I run into her room, holding a screaming Alithea. Mum and Dad are sitting in armchairs having a talk about something.

“What’s wrong?” Mum asks, leaping up.

“I don’t know!” I cry, “she won’t stop crying! I’ve changed her nappy, I’ve fed her, she’s not too hot, not too cold… I’ve cuddled and rocked and sang to her…”

“Here,” Mum takes her and tucks her expertly into the crook of her arm, “she might be sick. We’ll go down to the kitchen and have a look at her.”

Mum lays Alithea on the bench and unwraps her to listen to her chest. She checks her temperature too.

“I don’t think she’s sick!” Mum yells over Alithea’s screaming.

“What’s wrong with her then?” I ask, worriedly. Mum shakes her head and wraps her back up.

“No idea, Georgie.”

**Maddie’s POV**

As I lie listening to Damien’s loud snoring I wish I was back listening to George’s gentle breathing. I toss and turn, trying to shake the funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Finally, I get up and pull on my jeans and sweater, despite the sweltering heat, I feel the need to be close to something homey. I creep downstairs and walk around the garden a few times, but I don’t feel any better. I have a feeling that someone needs me terribly.

“I have to go home,” I whisper to the rose bush. I rush back upstairs and grab my wand, trying not to wake Damien. I slip back outside and disapparate.

The first sound I hear when I open the front door is Alithea’s yells. I’ve never heard her scream like that before and it scares me. I run into the kitchen. George is pacing up and down, patting Alithea and looking stressed out.

“What’s wrong with her?” I ask. George jumps and spins around.

“We don’t know,” he cries, “we’ve tried everything! She just won’t stop crying!”

I cross the space between us quickly and take Alithea from him.

“Shh, Mummy’s here,” I whisper. Instantly she stops crying. I wipe the tears from her cheeks and kiss her softly.

“She hasn’t fainted, has she?” Mrs Weasley calls, running into the room. I look up and see her looking very surprised. Dad enters in after her and smiles.

“Well, now we know what she needed,” he says. George sinks into a seat and rests his head on the table. Alithea squeezes my finger tightly. With my free hand I rub the back of George’s neck.

“You’ve got to stop running off,” he mumbles.

“That was the last time,” I tell him, “I promise.”

“Speaking of promises,” he says, sitting up and glancing at Dad and Mrs Weasley who promptly back out of the room and close the door, “I have a late birthday present for you. Wait here.”

I sit down and feed Alithea while I wait. A few minutes later George comes hurrying back in.

“So, you were talking about promises,” he says, sitting down next to me.

“Well, not really-”

“Go with it,” he interrupts, “Just over a year ago I gave you a promise ring, right?”

“Yeah,” I hold up my hand, “I’ve worn it ever since.”

“Well, while you were away I decided it’s about time we came through on that promise,” George says. I frown.

“What do you mean?” I ask. He reaches over and takes my promise ring off.

“I want to replace that ring,” he says, “with this one.”

He holds up a silver ring with three diamonds along the top.

“And,” he continues, “I want you to marry me.”

“You’re proposing?” I gasp.

“Well, it was your seventeenth birthday-”

“Which you forgot.”

“And am now making up,” he says sheepishly, “so yes, I am proposing. I even asked your dad.”

“What did he say?”

“He said it’s about time and I should’ve married you before Alithea was born.”

I laugh and George grins.

“So?” he says.

“So what?” I ask.

“Are you going to answer?”

I bite my lip.

“George-”

“You’re going to say no, aren’t you?” he says, looking mortified, “oh, man…”

I laugh and shake my head.

“I was going to say yes!” I tell him, “and ask if this is your way of making sure Alithea’s last name is Weasley.”

“It’s not!” he says firmly, “if you want it to be Black-”

“I want her to be a Weasley,” I interrupt, “because she is one.”

“She’s a Black too.”

“Yes,” I agree, “but it’ll just be weird if we’re Weasley’s and she’s a Black.”

“Maddison Lilianna Weasley,” George says ponderingly, putting the ring on my finger, “I like it.”

“So do I,” I smile.

“I like us,” George says, “but maybe we should stop fighting.”

“No way,” I shake my head, “I hope we never stop fighting.”

“Why not?” George asks, frowning.

“Because I’m happier fighting with you than I could ever be just being peaceful with anyone else.”