Chapter 52

**Fred’s POV**

During the holidays our shop is packed pretty much from opening to closing times. I’ve taken to getting up before dawn… Well, very early, to prepare.

I climb out of bed, stretch and pull on my slippers. I walk out of my room and across the kitchen towards the bathroom. As I approach I hear the one sound that makes me queasy.

Vomiting.

I wait with my fingers in my ears until Maddie walks out, pale as a ghost.

“You okay?” I ask. She nods slowly.

“Morning sickness, huh?” I ask conversationally. She gets a glass of water and sighs.

“Apparently,” she replies, “it wasn’t this bad with Alithea.”

“Did you get it at all with her?”

“I threw up once,” she replies, “but now I’m up every morning… Urgh…”

She shudders.

“I’m going back to bed,” she says. I go to the bathroom quickly. When I come back out George is walking around in his pyjamas, his hair sticking up everywhere.

“Morning,” he yawns.

“Mmm,” I reply as way of a greeting.

“Hungry?” he asks.

“Nope,” I shake my head, “I walked in on Maddie vomiting.”

“Poor thing.”

“I blocked my ears.”

“I meant her.”

“Oh,” I laugh. The bedroom door flings open and Maddie rushes passed, diving for the bathroom. I block my ears until she walks passed again.

“I’m going to escape,” I say, heading back towards my room. I change quickly and head downstairs into the store. I turn the open/closed sign around and unlock the door. I begin restacking shelves. It still amazes me how well we’re doing.

I hear the doorbell tinkle as someone enters the shop.

“Can I he- Angelina!” I grin at her.

“Hey!” she says, giving me a quick hug, “how are you?”

“Great, how are you?” I ask, feeling my hands start sweating and suddenly wishing Maddie or George would come downstairs.

“Fantastic,” she smiles, “how’s the shop doing? It looks great!”

“It is,” I reply. We lapse into silence and I cast around for a subject.

“Have you seen our love potions?” I ask, motioning towards them, “not that you’d need one, but…”

“I would have thought you’d be against those, after the trouble they caused between George and Maddie,” she says sternly. I feel my cheeks heat up.

“Uh, yeah… well, we…”

“Ange!”

I could kiss Maddie as she walks in.

“Hey,” Angelina says, walking over and giving her a hug, “how’s the baby?”

“Growing bigger and less baby like every day,” Maddie laughs, “it’s killing me! I just want her to stay little forever!”

“Are you free for coffee?” Angelina asks, “you said you wanted to talk about something.”

“Yeah, sure,” Maddie says, “George’s on Dad duty.”