Chapter 15

**Maddie's POV**

"I have some bad news," Oliver says, walking up and down in front of us, "we're not playing Slytherin tomorrow. We're playing Hufflepuff instead."
"Why?" Alicia asks.
"Their excuse is that their seeker's arm is still injured-"
"There's nothing wrong with Malfoy's arm!" Harry cries angrily.
"I know," Oliver sighs, "but we can't prove that. Anyway, we've been practising assuming we're playing Slytherine and Hufflepuff's style is quite different. They have a new seeker and captain, Cedric Diggory-"
Oliver is interrupted by an outburst of giggles from Angelina and Alicia.
"What?" he asks, frowning.
"He's the tall, goodlooking one, isn't he?" Angelina asks.
"Strong and silent," Alicia agrees and they start giggling again. I roll my eyes.
"He's only silent because he's too thick to string two words together," I say.
"I don't know why you're worried, Oliver," Fred says, "last time we played Hufflepuff they were a pushover! Harry caught the snitch in five minutes, remember?"
"We were playing in different conditions!" Oliver says manically, "I was afraid you'd take it like this! We need to keep focused and take this seriously!"
"We're taking Hufflepuff seriously!" Fred says, alarmed, "seriously!"

Before the match we huddled in the changing rooms, waiting for Oliver's pep talk and trying to ignore the howling wind and turrential rain outside. Oliver opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again several time before simply beckoning to us and leading the way out onto the pitch. The second we step outside we're soaked through and shivering.
I hear Madame Hooch's whistle and take off, hoping I'll be able to grip my broom and the Quaffle while they're soaked.
I swoop through the air, squinting and trying to see the Quaffle. Something hits me in the chest and I realise I've caught it. I fly straight towards the goals, not facing an opposition, savea brief encounter with a bludger. I throw the Quaffle and see it fly straight through the centre hoop.
Ten minutes later I hear Madame Hooch's whistle and fly towards Oliver, who's motioning for us to land.
"I called for a time out," he says, ushering us under the shelter.
"What's the score?" Harry gasps, shivering.
"We're fifty up," I say, my teeth chattering.
"You've got to get the Snitch, Harry," Fred says, "or we'll be playing into the night."
"I haven't got a chance with these on," Harry says, trying to dry his glasses.
"Here," I take them from him and tap them with my wand, "Impervius. They should expel water."
"You're a genius!" Oliver exclaims, "alright team, let's go!"
I take off again, and see a Hufflepuff chaser with the Quaffle. I speed over and knock it out of her arms. Alicia catches it below me and speeds towards the goals.
Cold...
Dark...
I feel a strange tugging at my mind, as if there's a veil over it and someone's trying to pull it free.
I look down and see a swarm of Dementors. I pull my wand out and think of summers spent with Fred and George.
"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" I yell. I look up and see Harry falling. I start flying towards him, but he slows down and lands softly.

"Lucky the ground was so soft," Alicia says as we gather around his bed in the Hospital Wing.
Harry's eyes fly open.
"Harry! How're you feeling?" Fred asks.
"What happened?" Harry asks.
"You fell, what, fifty feet?" Fred asks. We all nod.
"The game," Harry says, "what happened."
We all look at each other.
"We... didn't lose?" Harry asks.
"Cedric got the snitch just after you fell," I tell him gently, "he didn't see what happened... He wanted to do a rematch, but..."
"He got it, fair and square," Angelina says tonelessly.
"Where's Wood?" Harry asks, looking around.
"Still in the showers," Fred says.
"We think he's trying to drown himself," George adds.
Madame Pomfrey came out of the office, tisking over the mud and shooing us all out.
We walk in silence back to Gryffindor tower. There's nothing to say.