Chapter 99

**Maddie’s POV**

“Compulsory attendance,” I read, “for all witches and wizard from ages eleven to seventeen.”

I look up at Mrs Weasley. She’s looking very anxious.

“They’ll check,” I tell her, “if Ginny doesn’t turn up. They’ll check for Ron here too.”

“What if they’ve got Ron?” she squeaks.

“They don’t,’ I say confidently, “if they had Ron they would have Harry and if they have Harry it would be all over the papers.”

“Mummy, want up!” Alithea says holding her arms out.

“You climb up,” I tell her, holding my arms out to her.

“No!” she whines, “up!”

Mrs Weasley picks her up and puts her on my knee before walking out, looking distracted.

“What if I run away?” Ginny asks quietly.

“They’ll search here anyway,” I mutter, “and there will already be trouble with Ron gone. We don’t need it with you too.”

She curls up on the couch next to me.

“It’ll be dangerous, won’t it?” she asks, “but we have to fight.”

I glance at the kitchen door.

“Strictly speaking,” I murmur, “I should tell you to keep your head down and your nose clean, but as it is... If you need any help, or if things get out of hand, send me an owl.”

“I have a better idea,” Ginny says, “wait here.”

She dashes up stairs. Alithea is playing softly with my hair and it’s making me feel drowsy.

“Here,” Ginny hands me a galleon. I look at it and then at her.

“Ginny, what-”

“Hermione made them,” she says, showing me another one, “I’ve got Harry’s, which controls them. If I change the numbers here, they heat up, showing that we need a meeting. We used them for the DA the year before last.”

“That’s… Ingenious,” I remark. Ginny grins and taps her nose at me.

***

“Be safe,” Mrs Weasley tells Ginny, “don’t do anything stupid! Just behave!”

“Give them hell,” I mutter, giving her a hug.

“Keep your galleon on you,” she replies quietly, “just incase.”

I nod and step back as she climbs aboard the train. I see Neville and Luna join her at the door. As the train pulls away Mrs Weasley lets out a sob. I put one arm around her shoulder and use the other one to wave them off.

“She’ll be alright,” I say comfortingly, “she’s smart.”

Mrs Weasley nods, wiping her eyes on her sleeves. We disapparate back to the Burrow where Tonks is playing on the floor with Alithea. She looks up as we walk in.

“Maddie, you haven’t seen Remus, have you?” she asks. I freeze and look at her.

“Why?”

“He… I haven’t seen him… In a few days,” she replies, blushing.

“No, I haven’t,” I reply, “I’m sure he’s fine.”