Chapter 78

Sorry about this being late! I had planned to put chapter 78 & 79 up on Christmas eve and then chapter 80 on Christmas day, but things got crazy, so I'll but them up today! Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!

________________________________________________________________________________

**George’s POV**

“Where’s my baby girl?”

We all look up as we hear Sirius’ voice in the kitchen.

“I never know if he’s talking about me or Lith,” Maddie mutters to me. He walks in and glances around at us all, sitting in a circle with Alithea in the middle, playing with blocks.

“There she is!” he laughs. Alithea looks up and squeals.

“Papi!”

Maddie exchanges a look with me.

“Not you,” Sirius chuckles, ruffling Alithea’s hair, “my baby girl.”

Maddie actually looks shocked as she stands up so Sirius can hug her.

“Eighteen!” he cries, “I remember when you were barely up to my knee!”

“Don’t, I already feel old,” Maddie laughs. Alithea pushes her away and stretches up to Sirius.

“Puppy?” she asks. I lean over and drag her onto my lap.

“Wait,” I tell her gently.

“No!” she cries, struggling. I clamp my arms around her.

“Wait,” I say more firmly. She sits still, her face like thunder.

“I know that Snowy is getting a bit old, and I know you’d never let me get you a replacement when she dies, so,” Sirius holds out a cardboard box with holes in it. Maddie takes it with a laugh and lifts the lid. A small, black kitten leaps out and yawns.

“Aw!” Maddie squeals, “he’s so cute!”

She picks him up and gives him a kiss between the eyes.

“Wassat?” Alithea asks, pointing. Maddie kneels beside me to show her.

“He’s a little kitten,” she says, “you have to be very gentle with him.”

She takes Alithea’s hand and runs it along the kittens back. Alithea pulls it away, looking terrified.

“He’s nice,” Maddie says.

“No!” Alithea cries, kicking out. Maddie steps back quickly.

“She’ll love professor McGonagall,” she jokes. The kitten purrs and rubs its head on her chin.

“Thanks Daddy,” she says, giving Sirius a one-armed hug.

“Well, ignore the rest of us,” Tonks says with a small laugh that doesn’t reach her eyes.

“Sorry!” Maddie laughs, wrapping her arms around Tonks and then Remus.

“I got you the best present ever,” Tonks says, handing Maddie a brightly coloured parcel. I watch her carefully. Her eyes remain dull.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Maddie says, tearing the paper away, looking excited. Inside the parcel is a small bottle of bright green liquid.

“Is this-” Maddie gasps and looks at Tonks, whose eyes are sparkling now as she nods.

“No way!” Maddie squeals, throwing her arms around Tonks, “that’s brilliant!”

“What is it?” I ask, taking the bottle and looking at it.