Chapter 40

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for reading and commenting and being patient with the waits between chapters :p Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Maddie’s POV**

“I’ll be fine,” I tell George as I walk down the stairs.

“You’re not meant to be stressed!” he protests. I sigh and turn to face him.

“George, being indoors all the time is stressing me out,” I reply, “I can’t stand it anymore!”

“Then go for a walk!” he says, “you don’t need to do this!”

“It’s important!”

“There are other people who could-”

“Drop it,” I say firmly, “I’ll see you later.”

As I walk away I hear him groan.

“Ready?” Remus asks. I grab my broom and nod. Mrs Weasley watches me anxiously.

“You might want to say goodbye,” Moody says, nodding to George, “just in case.”

I look over at George. For a moment I consider ignoring him and just leaving. Then I change my mind. I walk over and lean up to his ear so no one else would hear.

“You know what annoys me so much?” I whisper, “no one would give a damn if it wasn’t for the baby.”

I turn on my heel and walk out with the others. My heart is thumping in my chest, but not out of fear. I hate how everyone has suddenly become so careful of me. I feel as if the only reason anyone takes notice of me is because of the baby. Maybe once it’s born they’ll forget about me completely.

“I hate you,” I mutter at my stomach.

“Focus,” Remus mutters. I mount my broom, waiting for the signal. In the distance a shower of green sparks explodes in the air.

“Right, let’s go,” Moody calls. I kick off from the ground, feeling the wind in my hair and across my face. For the first time in a long time I feel free.

We land silently in Harry’s backyard.

“Maddison, do a scout around. Check for the muggles,” Moody says, his wand out. I creep around the exterior of the house.

“All clear,” I whisper. Moody nods and points his wand at the back door.

“Alohamora,” he mutters. The door swings open with a click. We sneak into the sparkling kitchen.

“It’s safe,” Moody says. I jump as Tonks knocks a plate off the counter.

“Oops,” she says, tapping it with her wand to fix it and placing it back.

“Where do you think his room is?” Emmeline asks.

“Upstairs,” I reply.

“How do you know that?” Tonks asks, following me upstairs.

“You don’t want to know,” I reply.

“Alohamora,” Moody mutters again. Harry’s door swings open and we all point our lit wands in there.

“Lower your wand before you take someone’s eye out,” Moody growls. Harry is standing there, looking completely shocked.