Chapter 29

**Maddie’s POV**

During the last week of term, exactly three days before my birthday and eight days before the ball, I’m sitting with Ron, Harry and Hermione in front of the fire. Ron is building a house of cards using exploding snap cards, Harry is reading Flying With The Cannons and Hermione and I are working on homework. With a loud bang, Ron’s card house explodes.
“Nice look Ron, that’ll go with your dress robes.”

Fred and George sit down with us. I don’t look at either of them. I can’t help being furious with Fred for being so nice to George, even though I know my resentment is irrational.

“Ron, can we borrow Pigwidgeon?” George asks.

“No, he’s off delivering a letter. Why?”

“Because George wants to invite him to the ball,” Fred retorts sarcastically, “speaking of, you lot got partners yet?”

“Nope,” Harry sighs.

“You’d better hurry or all the good ones will be gone,” Fred says.

“Who’re you going with then?” Ron asks.

“Angelina,” Fred replies.

“Have you asked her yet?” I ask pointedly.

“Good point,” Fred says, “Oi! Angelina!”

“What?” Angelina calls back from the other side of the room.

“Want to come to the ball with me?”

Angelina raises her eyebrows at him.

“Alright then,” she says, a faint blush colouring her cheeks.

“Piece of cake,” Fred says.

“Have you got a partner, Maddie?” George asks quietly.

“No,” I huff.

“You wouldn’t want to go with me would you?”

For a crazy moment I feel like laughing hysterically. That feeling is soon replaced by elation, which is then shoved aside by anger.

“I’m not going at all,” I snap.

“Well, if you, uh, change your mind,” he says, lowering his voice even further, “I’ll wait for you in the entrance hall.”

“See you around,” Fred says and he and George walk away. I sit back in my chair, thinking hard.

“Yes, I’ll do it,” I say.

“What?” Hermione asks, confused.

“Oh, nothing,” I reply, “excuse me.”

I run up to my dormitory and grab a piece of paper. I scribble down a quick description of the dress I want and wake up Odie.

“Be quick,” I tell him. He flies away into the night and I sigh. That was the easy part.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!”

I wake up to Angelina, Alicia, Hermione and Ginny holding out a huge, pink cake.

“Thanks guys!” I exclaim, blowing out the candles.

“We got you a present,” Alicia says, “just in case you change your mind about the ball.”

She hands me a thin box. I open it and find a beautiful diamond headband.

“Thank you!” I say, “it’s beautiful!”

“Any plans for today?” Hermione asks after breakfast. I open my mouth to say no, but then I notice Lee across the Hall.

“Hold that thought,” I say, jogging off.

“Lee! Hey, Lee!” I call, slowing down. He turns and grins at me.

“Happy birthday,” he says.

“Thanks,” I smile, “hey, have you got a partner for the ball?”

“Nope, Fred stole my girl,” he says, only half-jokingly.

“Well, would you want to go with me? Just as friends?” I ask hopefully. He grins broadly.

“Sure,” he replies.

“Cool, but keep it quiet, huh? I’ve told everyone I’m not going.”

“Right,” he taps his nose knowingly, “I’ll meet you in the Entrance Hall, yeah?”

“Awesome,” I grin and walk back over to the girls.

“What was that about?” Angelina asks. I shrug casually.

“Nothing important.”

......................................................................................................................................................

I don't know how many of you are on facebook/twitter, but I have pages on both, so if you look up Maddison Lilianna Black on facebook or MaddisonBlack on twitter, you can find and add me :)