Chapter 96

**George’s POV**

“We need to talk,” Maddie says. She has a light blush on her cheeks.

“About what?” I ask, worried.

“Um, maybe we could talk in the kitchen,” she suggests.

“Okay,” I agree hesitantly. Once in the kitchen, Maddie closes the door behind us.

“If this is about the death eater, I swear I didn’t-”

“I don’t even want to know!” Maddie says, half-laughing, “it’s not about that. It’s about me. Well, us. And Alithea.”

“What?” I ask, “is everything okay?”

Maddie nods, biting her lip. Her eyes are sparkling and I think I know what’s coming.

“It won’t just be the three of us anymore,” she says.

“You’re pregnant?” I ask, hardly daring to believe it. She nods.

“YES!” I yell punching the air. Maddie giggles and wipes her eyes.

“I’m so scared and happy,” she says, “I’m terrified that… But… I’m so happy.”

I throw my arms around her and kiss her hard on the top of the head.

“This baby will be fine,” I tell her, “we’ll be really careful.”

“George, I’m so excited,” she giggles, “I’d completely forgotten until just then and-”

“Hold up,” I stop her, “when did you find out?”

“Today for sure,” she replies, “I’ve had suspicions for a while now, but I hardly dared hope…”

“How did you find out today?” I ask. Maddie lifts her shirt up. There’s a little curve there that wasn’t there before. I run my hand over it.

“Can we tell everyone?” I ask, bouncing up and down on my feet. Maddie smiles, nods and holds out her hand.

“Can we tell Alithea first?” she asks as I slide my hand into hers.

“Okay.”

“Alithea, come here,” Maddie calls through the kitchen door. Alithea comes walking in and Maddie picks up and puts her on the kitchen table.

“My in tubble?” Alithea asks.

“No, sweetie, you’re not in trouble,” Maddie says soothingly, “Mummy and Daddy have something to tell you.”

“Sumfin dood?”

“Something very good,” Maddie says, smiling at me, “soon you’re going to have a little brother or sister. Right now he or she is growing in Mummy’s tummy.”

Maddie lifts up her shirt to show her.

“Mummy det fat?” Alithea asks.

“No, not fat,” Maddie blushes, “there’s a little baby growing in here. A little baby like you.”

“Mummy ate it?”

Maddie rolls her eyes at me with a smile.

“No, never mind,” she laughs, “come on, let’s go tell Papi.”

We walk together out to the lounge room, me carrying Alithea.

“This is nerve racking,” Maddie mutters, “where’s Tonks when you need her?”