[PATRICK] I Want Daddy

It's nine thirty in the evening. You're sitting at your dining room table, trying to cram for the "big test" your professor is having tomorrow. You've known about this test for a while, but you haven't had the chance to really sit down and study since you had to take care of your two-year-old daughter, Gabby, all by yourself, so she comes first before your secondary schooling.

Now it wasn't that you're a single mom or that the father of your daughter left you high and dry. It's just that your boyfriend and Gabby's father, Patrick, is never home. He's either at the studio or on tour with his band, Fall Out Boy. You can't remember the last time you and him spent time together that wasn't just a brief stop-in before he had to go again for whatever reason.

You throw your pen down in frustration and bang your head against the table. You're on the verge  of tears from all the stress that's weighing you down when you hear someone else crying - Gabby.

"Gabby?" You rise to  your feet and make your way to where the crying was coming from, the  staircase leading upstairs. Sitting on the top step is your daughter, her face and red and wet from crying and in her arms a teddy bear that  Andy had given her when she was first born. "Gabby, what are you doing  up?"

"I-I want Daddy!" She sobs, hugging the bear tightly.

You frown and walk up the stairs, stopping a few steps below her and squatting down so you were eye level with her. "Daddy will be home soon, honey," You reassure her soothingly.

"I WANT DADDY!" She screams.

You heave a sigh. This happens almost every night and each night, it hurts you more and more.

As previously mentioned, Patrick is never home. It's something you've become used to but your daughter was new to. When Patrick is home, your daughter and him are inseparable - they spend  every waking moment together and when it comes times for him to leave,  Gabby breaks down and begs for him to not to go. "I got to go,  Princess," He usually tells her as he hugs her tight and strokes her blonde hair comfortingly, "But I promise I'll be back before you know it. I promise." He's never broken his promise - he always comes home,  but it still breaks your daughter's heart every time he walks out that  front door. And that breaks your heart.

"I do too, Gabby, but  right now we need to get you in bed. I've got a big test tomorrow and I  really need you to stay in bed so mommy can study and graduate." You scoop your daughter up in your arms and she holds onto you tightly, dropping the teddy bear.

You try to lay her back down in her own bed but she refuses to let go. "Gabby, please..." You plead.

"I want Daddy, Mommy..." She mumbles sleepily.

"Honey, I told you, I-"

"Will you sleep with me until daddy comes home?" She asks, her question muffled into your  shoulder which she was using as a pillow.

You sigh, "I guess I can sleep with you until Daddy comes home."

"Yaaaaaaay," Your daughter replies, failing to express her enthusiasm and on the brink of passing out in your arms.

You chuckle softly before taking her into your room and laying her down on Patrick's side of the bed. You lie down next to her and relax as best you can.

You planned on going back downstairs when your daughter was knocked out cold, but you end up falling asleep next to her.

*****

Patrick walks through the front door and the house is eerily silent. He sets his bags down on the floor in the foyer and takes off his jacket. He hangs it up on the hook and starts walking through the house, trying to find you or Gabby. One of you had to be up, he thought.

He enters the dining room and sees your stuff scattered about the dining room table - your dead laptop, your opened textbook accompanied by your notebook scribbled in with meaningless words, and your discarded pen. He sighs and closes your textbook.

The singer then walks up the staircase, finding Gabby's teddy bear lying on the top step. He picks it up and walks into her bedroom, only to find her missing. He cocks his eyebrow in suspicion before turning back around and making his way into yours and his bedroom.

He smiles when he sees you and Gabby asleep together in the same bed. Patrick slowly makes his  way into the room and slips into the bed next to you.

Your eyes slowly open and you look over your shoulder, seeing Patrick looking at you with a wide smile stretched across his face. The corner of your lips curl upward and you whisper, "Hey, you came home."

"Of course I did," He whispers back, "I always do."

"DADDY!" You hear your daughter exclaim before she climbs over you and attacks Patrick with a big hug.

Patrick chuckles, "Hey, Princess. I missed you."

"I missed you too, Daddy," Your daughter retorts softly, giving Patrick a kiss on the cheek. You smile.