[PATRICK/PETE] Trick-Or-Peteing - Round Two

"Gabby, where are you?" You shout as you run around the house looking for her, the striped stockings to her Alice costume in your hand. You turn the corner and bump into Patrick, dressed as Stayne, the Knave of Hearts, with a heart patch over his one eye and a cape draped over his shoulders.

"I'm sorry, m'lady," He apologizes, bowing down to you.

"Oh knock it off," You say with a giggle, walking past him as well as your three-year-old son, Zach, adorned with his card soldier costume, "Gabby!"

You reach the bottom of the stairs and hear screaming coming from the floor above you.

"But you have to be the Mad Hatter, Ethan! I can't be Alice without you!"

"Well I don't want to be the Mad Hatter, Gabby! And besides, I'm not going Trick-Or-Treating, so it doesn't matter!"

You roll your eyes and walk upstairs, your Red Queen costume making it difficult for you to trek up the steps. You turn down the hallway and find Gabby standing in Ethan's room, her hands on her hips as she glares at her brother - not dressed in the costume he's supposed to be in - who's standing over her.

"Mom, tell Gabby I'm not being the Mad Hatter!" He shouts, meeting your gaze.

"Why aren't you being the Mad Hatter now?" You ask him, entering your son's bedroom and handing your daughter her tights. She takes them into her possession and quickly slips them on.

"Because I'm not dressing up this year! Or going Trick-Or-Treating! I'm too old for that shit!"

"Hey, language. And you're nineteen..." You remind him, "...and as long as you still live at home with your dad and me, you're dressing up and going trick-or-treating with us. Besides, we can't go out without our Mad Hatter."

"But Mom, I'm not a kid anymore!" He tries to change your mind, "I don't want to go trick-or-treating! I don't want to dress up!"

"Hey, what's going on up there? There's already kids outside!" Patrick calls from downstairs, Zach in his arms, sitting on your husband's hip.

"Ethan doesn't want to go trick-or-treating with us!" You shout back.

"What?" Footsteps patter up the stairs and before you know it, Patrick and Zach are standing behind you. "What do you mean he doesn't want to go trick-or-treating with us?"

"Oh my god," Your oldest son mutters, covering his face with his hands and lowering himself down to the foot of his bed, "You guys are making a big deal out of something that doesn't need to be made a big deal out of!"

"We're talking about candy here, Ethan!" Gabby finally contributes to the conversation after finishing her costume, extending her hands out to the sides, "It's a huge deal!"

"I don't want candy!" He screams, groaning and standing up before pushing past you and Patrick to escape to the bathroom - the one room in the house with a lock.

You heave a sigh and look back at your husband who just shrugs his shoulders, not knowing what to say. "I guess we can go without him," You mutter in defeat.

"What? No!" Gabby cries, stomping her feet and punching the air by her sides.

"Hang on, I might have an idea," Patrick mumbles, putting his finger up in a give me one second kind of way and handing Zach to you to leave the room.

*****

"Thanks for doing this, man," Patrick says as he fixes the hat on top of Pete's head.

"No need for a thank you," He replies, adjusting the jacket that's just a tad too big for him, "You know I'm always here for you when you or (Y/N) needs me. I wanted to go out anyways, but my kids are apparently 'too old' to do that kind of thing anymore."

"Same!" The singer exclaims, a chuckle slipping past his lips.

"Well doesn't someone look nice," You comment, bringing your husband and his friend's gazes to the doorway you're standing in, arms crossed over your chest as you lean against the threshold.

"Ah! The Red Queen!" Pete screams, shying away from Patrick and putting his hands up in surrender, "Please don't hurt me!"

You giggle and enter the room, punching Pete playfully in the upper arm.

"Uncle Pete!" Gabby exclaims, running in after you and seeing what he's dressed as, "Wait, what are you doing dressed in Ethan's costume?"

"I'm filling in for him," He tells her.

"But you can't go Trick-Or-Treating," Gabby retorts, putting her hands on her hips, "You're too old."

"That's why we're not going trick-or-treating, Alice," The bassist replies in character, bending down so that he's eye level with the seven-year-old and resting his elbows on his knees, "We're going-"

"Don't you dare say it!" Patrick blurts out, cutting him short.

"Oh my god, please don't," You mumble, covering your face with your hands.

"What?" Pete asks innocently, a sly grin appearing on his face.

"You know what," The singer growls, folding his arms over his chest.

"What? That we're going Trick-Or-Peteing?"

"Pete!" You and Patrick exclaim, earning a laugh from the bassist.

He swoops Gabby up and puts her on top of his shoulders. "Let's go, Alice!" With your daughter a laughing mess and a Cheshire-like grin plastered on the bassist's face, the two of them rush out the front door, you, Patrick, and Zach in tow.

*****

It's later that evening and Gabby, Zach, and Pete are sitting on the living room floor, literal piles of candy surrounding them. They're trading with one another, Pete taking most of the kid's undesirable ones (like 100 Grands, Almond Joys, Baby Ruth's...) while you and Patrick are upstairs.

"Hey Uncle Pete?" Gabby asks as she struggles to pull back the wrapper of her king-size chocolate bar.

"Yeah, Gabby?" He replies, taking the wrapper off of the Tootsie Pop Zach wanted and giving it to him. The three-year-old takes the lollipop into his possession and puts it into his mouth.

"What's the difference between Trick-Or-Peteing and Trick-Or-Treating?" She rips open the candy and breaks a piece of chocolate off. Before she eats it, she tacks on, "Because it just felt like Trick-Or-Treating to me."

He shrugs his shoulders. "I guess there's not really a difference."

"Then why do you call it that?" She inquires with a full mouth.

Pete plays with the torn wrapper in his hand and murmurs, "I don't know. It's just something me and your dad used to do when we were younger. We don't do a lot of stuff together anymore, so I kinda like holding onto things like that. It reminds me of the old days, you know?"

"Yeah," Gabby mumbles sadly, "We don't do a lot of stuff together anymore either. It's okay, though. I'm just glad Daddy wasn't sick this year."

Pete chuckles, shaking his head and the frown off of his face. "Yeah, me too, Gabs, me too."