[PATRICK] Suspended - Part Two

Patrick walks upstairs and knocks on your daughter's bedroom door. "Gabby?" She doesn't  respond. He heaves a sigh, "Gabby, come on. Turn down your music and let me in."

"That's not going to  work," You tell him, standing at the top of the staircase with your arms crossed over your chest. "Patrick, I know Gabby, and-"

"Just let me do this!" He snaps. You roll your eyes. He knocks again, this time harder than before, and shouts, "Gabby, let me in!" He pauses before adding more politely, "Please?"

You stand there, shaking your head with a smile on your face. You know it's not going to work. You know your daughter and you know this "new" her (at least you think you do). Patrick only knows her as the sweet little girl she used to be, the little girl who used to think that when her dad was away he was actually saving rock and roll.

"(Y/N), what do I do?" Patrick asks you for help.

You shrug your shoulders, "I don't know. I'm letting you do this, remember?"

His eyes narrow, "Now's not the time to be sassy, (Y/N). I really need your help. What do I do?"

"You can't be nice about  it," You advise him, "Nice doesn't get anywhere with her. Trust me, I've tried before and it doesn't work."

"Are you saying you want me to be mean?" He questions innocently, "Because I can't be mean! It's not in my nature! Of all people, you should know this, (Y/N)."

"Well it's the only you're going to make any progress with her," You tell him, "So it's be mean or she's going to keep herself locked in her room forever."

He sighs and turns to face the door, taking in a deep breath before pushing open the door and  venturing into the room. You walk into the doorway and watch as Patrick yanks the power cord to her stereo out from the socket. The loud music stops abruptly.

"Hey!" Gabby screams, looking back at Patrick who throws the power cord down on the ground.

"I said turn down your music," He retorts with this authority you've never seen in him before. As much as you don't want to admit it, seeing as now is not an appropriate time, but this new side to him kind of turns you on.

Gabby sets the notebook she was writing in to the side and stands up from her bed that she was  lying on, walking right up to your husband and bending down to pick up the power cord. She never breaks her gaze with him as she plugs the cord back in and the loud music starts blasting again. Patrick instinctively places his hands over his ears and squeezes his eyes shut, as do you. The music's even louder and more ear-piercing with the door open. Your daughter trudges back over to her bed and flops down on it, grabbing her notebook and writing in it again.

"I'd appreciate it if you got out of my room and left me alone," Your daughter shouts over the music, "Please."

Patrick looks over at you with an expression that screams he doesn't know what to do. And you're usually more than willing to lend him a hand, take over, but this time you're just as lost as he is. You have no idea what to do. So you do the first thing you can think of.

You walk into the room and pull the cord out, stopping the music for the second time. Your daughter glares over her shoulder and sees you holding the plug.

"What the hell?" She mutters under her breath, but loud enough for you to hear.

"I want you to stop this nonsense, Gabby," You remark, relinquishing your hold of the power cord  and letting it drop to the ground, "I don't know why you're acting like  this, this isn't you!"

"You don't know me!" She responds like every other person does when their identity is threatened.

"I know my daughter doesn't get suspended from school for doing drugs!" Patrick interjects, the authority he had before now fading away, seeing as his voice cracked  at the end of his statement.

She scoffs, "What would  you know? You're never home!" Patrick's heart drops as those words  escape your daughter's lips, as does yours.

"Gabby..." You shake your head, "You know your dad tried to be home as much as he could..."

"He didn't try hard enough," She mumbles, throwing her notebook aside and jumping up from  her bed, dashing out of her bedroom. You and Patrick run after her.

"Gabby! Wait! Please,  hear me out!" Patrick pleads as the two of you race down the stairs,  your daughter pulling open the front door open and rushing outside.

"Oh my god, Gabby!" You scream as you follow her, Patrick right behind you.

"JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"  Your daughter screams as she stops in her tracks in the middle of your  front yard, spinning around to face you and her dad. It's dark out and no one is around. You and Patrick slow to a stop, about fifteen feet in  between the two of you and her. "CAN'T YOU SEE THAT I DON'T WANT TO TALK  TO YOU?"

"Well we want to talk to you,"  Patrick dares to reply. You just hang your head. "And don't you see?"  Patrick steps in front of you, pushing you back protectively. "Gabby, this is why you're like this," He motions to her appearance, "All because you didn't want to talk to us. I get it not wanting to talk to me. Why would  you when I wasn't there for you? You probably don't even consider me your dad. But not talking to your mom? That's ridiculous! She's been there for you through thick and thin and this is how you repay her?"

Gabby meets your gaze but says nothing.

"And just look at where not talking to your mom or me got you. You were caught doing drugs at  school, for crying out loud! My daughter shouldn't be caught doing drugs at school! She shouldn't be doing drugs at all!"

Her gazes shifts over to Patrick, remaining silent.

"What do you want from me, Gabby?" He asks her, extending his hands out to the sides, "Huh? Do  you want attention? Do you want me to go back in time and make it so that my band never gets back together so I can devote all my time to you and your mom? What do you want?"

You notice tears starting to form in your daughter's eyes the more and more Patrick keeps talking. You're tempted to ask him to stop, to just drop it and go back inside, but he continues before you can intervene.

"Gabby, I did the best with what I was given," He confesses softly, almost regretfully, "I wanted to be home for you guys, I really did. You don't know how much it  killed me to miss those major events in your life. Your first word. Your first steps. Your first day of school. I literally cried the night you were graduating kindergarten and I was stuck on the tour bus, going to the next venue! You don't understand, I wanted to come home so badly but I couldn't."

Your daughter flicks away one of the tears that escaped from her eye.

"But don't think I didn't try Gabby, because I did," He points his finger at her, "Now you can go run off like every other trouble teenager who thinks that running away will solve all their problems or you can come back inside and wipe that ridiculous makeup off of your face. You're not Pete from 2005."  And with that, Patrick brushes past you, storming back into the house.

You stand there for a little before saying to your daughter, "I hope you make the right decision, Gabby. Because...god help you if you don't."

To Be Continued...