[PATRICK] Let's Not And Say We Did ("Boyfriend For Hire" Part Two)

Patrick's sitting on his bed in the apartment he still shared with his friends, mindlessly plucking the strings on his guitar and watching two of his three - and sometimes four - roommates, Pete and Joe, trying to fix the heater they desperately needed to warm their apartment before temperatures dropped again. Winter had made its way to Chicago and, to save money, they kept the thermostat at 65 degrees year round.

"No, you idiot!" Pete screams as he smacks Joe's hand away from the machine, "That's not what's broken!"

"Well if you're so sure what's broken, then why don't you fix it?" Joe snaps back, throwing the tool he had in his hand down and storming off into the only private room in the small residence - the bathroom.

The corner of Patrick's lip perks up and he shakes his head, averting his gaze down and seeing that his phone's going off. He set his guitar aside and picks the vibrating device up, seeing your name written across the screen. He immediately lightens up and answers the call, putting the phone up to his ear and greeting, "Hello?"

"Patrick! Hey, it's (Y/N)," You reply.

"Yeah, I know," He retorts, instantly regretting his response but knowing there was nothing he could do to take it back, so instead he continues by letting a chuckle slip past his lips and saying as cool as he can manage, "I haven't heard from you in a while."

"Yeah, sorry about that," You apologize, "Life's just been so busy lately. I...I actually was wondering if you were doing anything this weekend."

Patrick's eyes trail over to Pete who's resorted to kicking the heater out of frustration. "Um, yeah. I mean, no." He chuckles nervously at himself, bringing his free hand up to his forehead and sighing. "No, I'm not doing anything. What's up?"

"I need you for something."

*****

"Hold up," Patrick says as you drive him back to your place in the Porsche Boxter your parents got you for your sixteenth birthday, thinking that was what you wanted, "So you're telling me, that you told your parents that we were engaged?"

Your cheeks grow a deep shade of red as you answer, "I know, it was stupid of me. But I had to, Patrick. They...They were harping me about it, constantly comparing me to Elisa and her husband. 'Why aren't you married yet, (Y/N)?' 'What happened to that nice boy you came to Elisa's wedding with, (Y/N)?' 'Where is he, huh?' 'Did he dump you?' 'He wasn't good enough for you anyways. We have better people you could meet. Do you want us to hook you up with Charles's son, Lincoln?' " You shake your head, failing to notice the smirk crawling onto your fake boyfriend's face. "I couldn't stand it anymore. So, I bought myself a ring, slipped it on, waited for someone to notice, and when they did, I told them you proposed to me a little while ago. I just didn't want to say anything about it because I didn't want to take away attention from Elisa and he-whose-name-I-will-never-learn."

"But...you wanted them to think that we're getting married," He states flatly.

You heave a sigh, finally coming to terms with the situation you got yourself into. "Look, Patrick, you know how my family is. That's why I hired you to come to my sister's wedding with me. I was hoping-"

"I'd do the same this time," The blonde finishes your sentence.

"Yeah," You murmur, sinking into the driver's seat. You sit there for a little before tacking on, "I'll pay you whatever you want me to. Name a price, and I'll give it to you. You know money's not a problem with me." You take a quick glimpse over at your passenger before returning your attention to the road.

Silence falls over the car and you start to get nervous he won't help you. But then, he blurts out, "Does he-whose-name-you'll-never-learn live with you guys in your mansion of a house?"

"Oh, yeah," You disclose, nodding your head, "There's no need for either my sister or me to leave my parents, even if we decide to have families. The place is big enough to house all of the Duggars and their ever-growing family."

"So...if we got married, I could move in with you?" He inquires.

You slow to a stop at a red light and look over at him, an eyebrow raised. "You know we're not actually getting married, right? We're just acting like we did so my parents will get off my back."

"I know that, but I'm just wondering, if we were to get married, we would live together?"

"Why?"

"I'm just asking," Patrick answers you innocently, putting his hands up in surrender.

You stare at him blankly for a little bit before saying, "Okay..."

"Yeah" He says awkwardly, averting his gaze to the side and saying nothing else. The light turns green and you slowly lower your foot down onto the gas pedal, propelling the vehicle forward.

*****

"Congratulations!" Your mother exclaims, attacking you and Patrick with a hug the second you enter your home.

"Yeah, we thought (Y/N) would never get married," Elisa sneers, standing a few feet behind your mother with her husband and your father. Your eyes instantly narrow.

"Well, out of all the men that I would want to see standing up at the altar to take my youngest daughter away from me, I'm happy it's you, Parker," Your dad comments.

"It's, um, Patrick," Your fake boyfriend - now fiance - responds, rubbing the back of his neck uneasily, "But thanks?"

"We've got so much planning to do!" Your mother shouts in excitement, grabbing your hand and yanking you forward. The two of you don't get very far before you slip your hand out of your mother's grasp, stopping her dead in her tracks. She shoots a perplexed expression your way.

"Mom, um, we already got married," You lie, your cheeks growing a deep shade of red.

"You what!?!" She nearly screams at you, causing you and Patrick to jump back, "What do you mean you already got married!?!"

You swallow the lump in your throat and say, "Well yeah. We...We didn't want to do anything fancy, so we went to the court house and got married there."

"And you didn't think to tell any of us?" Elisa joins in, folding her arms over her chest and smirking. You've got the intuition that she's catching onto your little game of house, but she hasn't approached you or said about it yet.

"It was my idea," Patrick blurts out, stepping forward and draping his arm around your shoulders. You tense up and look over at him as he explains, "(Y/N) told me that you've been planning this day for her since she was born, but I didn't want to do anything big. She only agreed to it because I wouldn't stop insisting that we not make a big deal out of it. So if you're going to be mad at anyone, be mad at me."

"Or no one," You immediately tack on, placing your hand on Patrick's chest as you shift your gaze to your family, "Because I'm married now, and you don't have to keep asking me when it's going to happen because it already has. We all win."

Your family stares at you coldly before your mother heaves a sigh and says, "Well I guess I can't argue with that." A small grin appears on your face. "Since we don't have any wedding planning to do, I might as well tell the chefs to start dinner. Why don't you and Peyton get ready? Clothes are upstairs for you; I want you looking nice." Before you or Patrick can correct your mother for getting his name wrong, she and the others turn and go their separate ways, leaving the two of you in the foyer.

Patrick breaks the silence that blanketed over the house after everyone left by asking, "Did your mom just say she was going to tell-"

"Yeah," You cut him off with a roll of the eyes, walking toward the grand staircase, "Let's not talk about it."

To be continued...?