[PETE] Check It Off

(From Never Say Never, originally titled "He'll Never...Go Bungee Jumping")

You and Pete are sitting at the table, both dressed in your pajamas, not really doing anything. You're on your phone and eating a bowl of your favorite cereal. Pete's poking at the toast he made for himself and burnt to death.

"I'm boooooooored," Pete complains.

"Then you should do something," You mumble in response, scrolling through your Twitter feed.

"I don't know what to dooooooo," He whines, sliding down in his chair so far that you almost couldn't see him anymore.

You look up from your phone as you remember something. You set your phone down and stand up from the table, escaping into the living room.

"What're you dooooooing?" He calls out to you from the kitchen.

You retrieve a piece of paper from under a coffee mug you had on the coffee table. You return to the kitchen and slam the piece of paper down on the table. Pete sits up and picks it up.

"My bucket list?"

You nod your head, "Last time you were bored, I told you to write this up. Well, you're bored again, so now it's time to actually start checking them off."

He chuckles, "But I don't even want to do these things. I didn't want to even write the list. I just didn't want to upset you."

"Aww, how sweet of you," You place your hand on his shoulder, "But it doesn't matter because you're going to do at least one of these things today. I'll even let you pick which one you want to do. And you've got all day to decide." You  lean in and give him a quick kiss on the lips before picking up your  cereal bowl and putting it in the sink.

*****

It's around three in the afternoon now and you come back from grocery shopping. "Pete, I'm home!" You exclaim, closing the door with your foot and walking into the kitchen. You set the grocery bags down on the counter and see that Pete's bucket list is still on the table, as is his plate of barely  eaten burnt toast, but the list is now crumpled up into a paper ball.

You heave a sigh, knowing Pete didn't listen to you.

"Pete!" You yell, grabbing the list and going through the house searching for him.

You find him in yours and his bedroom, sitting at the desk on the computer. You walk up behind him and tap him on the shoulder.

He glances up at you and smirks, taking the headphones that were over his ears off and draping them around his neck, "Hey babe."

"What's this?" You show him the balled-up bucket list.

"Oh, yeah, that, I thought I threw it away."

"No, you didn't. Pete, I wanted you to pick one. How hard can picking one thing on this list you made up be?"

"But there's only one thing on it and I don't want to do it."

You open the bucket list and see that there was  only one thing. All the others had been crossed out. The only thing  left: To try bungee jumping. You cock your eyebrow in confusion and the  spontaneity of the goal.

"If you didn't want to do it, why'd you put it down?" You ask him.

"Like I said, I didn't want to upset you," He mumbles sheepishly, "Look, I'm not bored anymore. Let's just go see a movie or something. There's this new movie at the  theater I want to see and there's a showing at four. If we leave now we  can tickets and-"

"No." He looks up at you with wide eyes. "No, I don't want to go see a movie. I want to go bungee jumping."

"What? No! Why? We couldn't go even if we wanted to. It's probably too late in the day. We'll go another day, let's just go to the movies, (Y/N)." He rambles  off nervously, trying to get out of doing it.

"Pete, we live in Los Angeles. I'm sure there's someone out there who can get us bungee jumping at a time like this. Come on!" You grab Pete and pull him up, causing him to yelp.

*****

You and Pete are on the Bridge to Nowhere, equipped with the bungee jumping safety harnesses and all. You're standing on the narrow ledge and looking down at the rocks and shallow river below you. Adrenaline pumps through your body as you wait for your instructor to tell you it's okay go.

As for Pete, he's scared shitless, staring down at the rocks, terrified. His heart is beating  against his chest and sweat is dripping from every pore in his body.

"(Y/N), I don't want to do this," He stammers, his body shaking. "I want to go home."

"Pete, it's too late. There's no turning back. We're already here and we're not going home."

"You're right! I'm not going to go home because I'm going to DIE HERE!" He cries.

You roll your eyes, "You're not going to die, Pete. Tons of people do this all the time and have there been any deaths?"

"I don't know, but there will be one after today!"

"You're good to go, whenever you're ready! Remember, one at a time!" The instructor calls out to you. You nod your head in understanding.

"Okay, Pete, let's do this," You say, looking back to see that Pete's trying to climb back onto the road behind you two. "Pete!"

"I'm not doing this,  (Y/N)!" He jerks his head in your direction and this time you notice there are tears in his eyes, tears of pure fear. You immediately feel  bad about forcing him to do this and you even consider letting him bail  out of it. But before you can say anything, Pete loses his footing and  falls backwards.

"PETE!" You scream as he free falls towards the rocks.

The rope elongates and compresses a couple times before Pete's left swinging back and forth below the bridge.

"Pete?" You call down to him worriedly.

He tilts his head up to look at you and shouts excitedly, "That was so much fun! And I didn't even break anything this time!" You and him both laugh as an instructor at the bottom of the gorge grabs your boyfriend and sets him on the ground, detaching the rope from his back. They move him out of the way  so that you can go. You take in a deep breath before jumping off of the  ledge.

Shortly after, you're standing beside Pete and the two of you are making your way back up to the bridge.

"Can we do it again?" He in quinces, about to explode from the excitement bubbling up inside of him. "Please?"

"I thought you didn't want to do this, I thought you wanted to go home," You tease him.

"Yeah, but that was before I knew how exhilarating it was! Please can we go again? I want to feel that feeling again!"

You sigh, "Okay. We can go again."

"Yay!" He exclaims, running ahead of you up the steps to get to the top quicker. You shake your head and start jogging in a lazy attempt to catch up to him.

*****

It's later that evening and you and Pete are driving back home. Sitting in the passenger seat, he glances over at you and smiles, "Thanks for making me do that,  (Y/N)."

You smirk, "You're welcome. But you don't need to thank me. I've wanted to do it for a while, I just needed someone crazy enough to do it with me."

"But even so. If I didn't have you, I wouldn't have realized how much I liked it. And if I didn't have you, I wouldn't do most of the things I've done in the past five years."

You blush humbly.

Pete leans over the center console and kisses you on the cheek, "I love you, (Y/N), and I'm really lucky to have you in my life."

You grab his hand with your right hand, keeping your left one on the steering wheel, and interlock your fingers with his, "And I'm lucky to have you."