[PATRICK] 'Cause It's Never Getting Any Better Than This

The singer heaves a loud sigh for the fifth time, attracting your attention from the other side of the bed and breaking your focus from your book you've borrowed from the library. You stare at him, waiting for him to meet your gaze. After a couple of minutes pass by, he finally feels your eyes on him and looks at you, peering over the glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose. "What?"

You chuckle. "What do you mean 'what'? You're the one breathing all weird over there."

He smirks and sets the phone he was holding on the nightstand, turning on his side so that he's facing you and explaining, "I'm sorry. It's just...my mom's been bugging me these past few days."

"About what?" You question, glancing back down at your book and flipping to the next page.

"I don't know...she's just..." He flips over on his back so that he's staring up at the ceiling. "She doesn't like that we're not married yet."

Another laugh slips past your lips. "Really? Of all things, that's what she's bugging you about?"

He shakes his head, the corner of his lip curling up into a grin. "I know right?"

"We don't need to get married," You mutter, shifting in your spot a little bit, "I don't need a stupid ring and a stupid piece of paper to tell me that I love you, or that you love me."

"Right," He agrees with a single nod of the head.

"And besides, what's getting married going to do for us now?" You continue, closing the book as a passion grows inside of you over this topic and putting it down. You swing your legs over the side of the bed and stand up. "I mean, we live together. We pay for bills and things equally. We have a kid, for crying out loud-"

"Well, we are the only ones in Ethan's kindergarten class that aren't married or single," Patrick reminds you, biting his lip before tacking on a dismal, "Or divorced."

"Still...it shouldn't matter." You plop down in the chair at your vanity and look at your boyfriend of ten years through the mirror. "Besides, with the way things are now, it's not like we could even afford a wedding." You tilt your head down to hide the frown that appears on your face.

Patrick rolls out of bed and walks over to you, wrapping his arms around you from behind and giving you a kiss on the head. "It's going to get better, (Y/N). I promise. We just...the guys and I have to get our big break."

"Yeah, and when's that going to happen?" You murmur, keeping your head hung low as you begin to twiddle your fingers in your lap, "I mean, Patrick, you've been saying that for years now, and it's never happened."

"It's going to. I can feel it," He reassures you, smiling for the both of you.

You shake your head and slip out of Patrick's hold, rising out of the chair and taking a few steps toward the bed. "And what if your feelings are wrong?"

The grin on his face disappears as he turns around to face you. "Why do you have to be like that? You know we're trying our hardest."

"Well our hardest isn't working, Patrick!" You snap, forgetting about the sleeping child in the next room over, "We're living in this shitty-ass apartment. We can barely afford to feed ourselves. We can't even afford Christmas presents this year for Ethan! It's never going to get better!"

"Hey." He approaches you and slips his warm and comforting hands underneath your jawline, forcing you to meet his gaze. "Remember what we said on our fifth anniversary? We said we'll always be there for each other, no matter what. It could be the end of the world and we could have nothing, but you know what? I wouldn't care because it'd be the end of the world with nothing with you. You're all I need, (Y/N). Remember that."

"And you're all I need," You repeat, a single tear falling from your eye and rolling down your reddened cheek.

"It's going to get better, (Y/N), trust me," He tells you, swiping his thumb across your cheek and wiping the tear away, "We just have to be patient and be there for each other. Alright?"

"Alright," You say, grinning at him.

"I love you."

"I love you too." You lean in, pressing your lips against his and holding him close, not wanting to let him go.