Chapter 21

I look at Jake and he's looking at the ground.

"Um officers, can I talk to him in private?"

"Of course."

As they leave the room, I sat down next him. There was awkward silence.

"Explain yourself."

"There's nothing to explain."

"Whyd you rob people? You know better than that."

"I dont know what got in me. It took over me."

"I know mom passed away but we have to learn to let go. She meant everything to me but thinking about her all day hurts. I know you miss her but you cant go breaking into peoples houses. Promise me you wont do it again."

"Ok. I promise."

He gives me a small smile and then fades away when the officers come in.

"Sorry to interrupt but we have to take Jake down to the station and ask some questions."

"Um. Ok. Sure but hes very delicate right now and I dont want him breaking you guys."

"Dont worry. We'll handle it carefully."

"Thank You."

"No problem. Jake. Lets go."

He got up and followed the cops. I heard chattering outside and Harry came through the door.

"Why is Jake going into the police car?"

"I dont wanna talk about it."

I layed down on the couch staring at the ceiling. Harry sat down as he lifted my feet up ans then put them on his lap.

"So."

"Remember when you gave me your necklace on my birthday?"

"Of course."

"My life comes with all these unexpected events that I cant deal with anymore."

"Everyones life is tough. We just have to get through them."

"But did you lose a mother? Its so hard for me and now I have to deal with Jake going all crazy."

"Its going to be alright Kaite. This is just a difficult time for--"

"Stop Harry. Just stop. You cant tell me its going to be alright because you dont know whats going to happen. No one does. Whos next, my dad?"

"Stop thinking negative. I dont know whats going to happen but thats not possible."

"My dad dying? My mom wasnt possible so who knows about my dad."

At this time I was yelling. I hated life.

"Im sorry Kaite. I should leave."

"Yeah. You should. And get a job as a fortune teller!"

He gave me a face before I left. I didnt really care. Should I go to the station and check up on Jake? I think he's fine. I started wondering. This was all too much. Whats gonna happen to Jake? Whats gonna happen to dad? What if Jake goes to prison and I never see him again? What if dad dies too? What if everyone is gone and Im left standing alone? Ifs. Ifs. Ifs. What if this is all true? Suddenly, I was asleep.

I woke up to nothing. To silence. It wasnt peaceful. I didnt like the silence. I got out of bed and went into Jakes room. He wasnt there. I hope he's ok. How did I end up in my bed? I never sleepwalk. All I remember was yelling at Harry for no fucking reason. Damn it. I hate myself. Just as I was about to lay on the couch, the door opened. Did I not lock it?

"I thought I locked it."

"You didnt lock it. I did. I took your key because I knew you wouldnt open the door."

"Did you tuck me in last night too?"

"Yeah. I came back to check up on you and you were asleep so yeah."

"Im sorry for yelling at you Harry."

"Its ok. Youre in a tough spot right now."