Chapter 17: Denver

Part one of a SIX part Christmas special. The rest will be posted hopefully soon. Enjoy! (:

--------------------------------------------------------

"Is everything ready to go?" asked John as he hurried down the stairs of Julie's house. "Baby stuff, Christmas gifts, coats, equipment... Everything?"

"Yes, Sir!" exclaimed Lyric, giving him a salute. "Oh but I can't find my plane ticket."

He gave her a look. "We're riding on a private jet."

A smile on her face, Lyric responded, "I know. I'm just messing with you. I'm ready to go."

"And I'm ready, too," mumbled Julie as she carried two baby portables, one in each arm holding a twin. John quickly helped her with Gaby's and she said, "Oh thanks. Hey are you sure we're not bringing too much?"

"I don't think we're bringing enough," John told her earnestly as he looked around the living room. "But the cabs are here and I've loaded up most of the things—just these are left—so we're set."

"Great," Lyric smiled. "And Julie, thanks so much again for inviting us to spend Christmas with you and your family. It means a lot since my family is currently overseas."

"You get used to joining up like this in Lima," Julie assured her. "I didn't think I'd get to come home since I came just a week ago for that party we had but it's good that we're going to take a trip instead."

"To Denver!" exclaimed John. "I'm excited for the cooler snow."

"How can the snow be cooler there than it is here?" Lyric asked.

"It just is, ok?" John responded. "Trust me." 

Julie nodded. "And don't even worry about cutting into our family because with Veronica it's always 'the more the merrier' and there's plenty of room for a guest or two according to my dad so... Two guests it is!"

"And you're sure Sam doesn't want to come, too?" asked John as he lifted a bag with his empty hand and began leading the way out. "It's not too late to go get him, too. With Tyler gone to visit his mom—"

"I mentioned the trip and he didn't seem to want to come," Julie shrugged. "Besides, he has Alex."

"I'm surprised Alex didn't want to come with us," Lyric said. "I guess he decided John and I deserved some time alone, which we wouldn't get if he came."

"I heard that!" Alex called out as he dashed down the stairs. He looked around at them and said, "You should've been gone by now. Dan's probably getting his nuts frozen as we speak—"

"Alex!" Lyric and Julie exclaimed in unison.

He ignored them and continued, "—waiting outside the plane for you guys! So go..."

"You'll be ok by yourself?" Julie asked him.

He nodded. "I'm a big boy, Vasquez," he said. "Besides, I won't be alone. I have—"

"Your car," Julie rolled her eyes. "I know."

"I wasn't going to say that but also that," Alex agreed. "And that party Ryder's putting on for us tomorrow. So I'm all good. Now go on. Get out of here."

"Fine, fine, fine," sighed Julie. "We'll see you either after the party or the next morning, ok?"

Alex nodded and hurried them out the door. As Julie and John put the twins into car seats in one of the cabs, Lyric started getting into the second cab. While she was away, Julie turned to John, staring at him for a few seconds before he asked, "What is it?"