Chapter 73: Picnic in New York

"Rise and shine," Kitty said, opening the door to Julie's room and letting the twins in. Julie was still asleep, predictably, but opened her eyes the second that Izzy reached her bed and started tugging on her to get up.

"Mommy, mommy!" she told her. "Cheese!"

"Cheese?" asked Julie, lazily sitting up. "Cheese where?"

"Cheese 'itchin," she answered.

Kitty smiled and said, "Cheese in the kitchen. I made mac n' cheese."

"Mac n' cheese?" Julie said. "For breakfast?"

"Julie, it's 2 PM," said Kitty. "The girls are all dressed for the day, they've been fed, and I was going to let you sleep in but I am just dying to know what happened last night. You left so quickly that I didn't get the chance to grill you about it. So what? You made up your mind or..?"

"I've decided to give myself time," Julie said. "Alex is... I don't know, Kitty. It's hard to explain it."

"So you do like him?" Kitty asked. 

Julie didn't answer, lifting Gaby up on the bed with her while Izzy accomplished it on her own. "I'm flying out to New York tomorrow," she said. "Wednesday's the Country Music Awards at Madison Square Garden so since I'll be in New York..."

"You're going to see Caleb," Kitty finished for her.

"I thought I would," Julie sighed. "But now, I don't know. I'm in this weird limbo between him and Alex right now and I was so sure I'd be going to New York and staying with Caleb and like... I don't know, making up with him and being with him. But now I don't know. Alex co-wrote and produced the song that I have a nomination for and we had agreed months ago that no matter what we'd be going to this thing together and... I haven't talked to either of them about it so I don't know."

"Well, if you're really leaving tomorrow I think you'd better decide soon, no?" Kitty said, giving her a look and then heading downstairs. Julie knew she should start solidifying her plans but all she cared about in the moment was spending time with her daughters before she had to leave them again for a few days.

***

"Luke, I'm home!" Albany exclaimed, getting back from the supermarket and walking into her apartment to find that Luke was still not out of bed. She set her shopping bags down on the kitchen counter and made her way towards his room, adding, "Dude, I knew you'd be sleeping in after the party but dear lord, it's almost three. We agreed you'd help me plan this stupid dance I agreed to oversee for the student council? The Winter Ball? It's in a month and—"

She opened Luke's bedroom door and immediately saw him lying in bed but was more surprised by the fact that he wasn't alone. His eyes wide open, Luke leaned over his guest and put a finger to his lips, indicating for Albany to shut up. His overnight guest was sleeping in very late.

Albany smiled, shook her head, and backed out of the room, quietly shutting the door. Luke was back.

***

Not long after Julie got started with her day, she was in the living room picking up the twins' toys, music loudly playing as Sam had the girls and Kitty was out, when she turned and saw Alex walking in, apologetically waving.

"Sorry," he said after making her jump. She turned down the music and he added, "I knocked a few times but the music was loud so I just... I still have my key."

He set it down on the coffee table for her but she said, "No, you should keep that. In case of, like, an emergency or something."

Alex smiled to himself and took the key back, seeing this as a sign that she hadn't changed her mind since the previous night. "So why are you cleaning?" he asked, taking a seat.