Chapter 75: Getting Older

-----------------------------

On Thursday, November 16, 2023, Juliet Vasquez turned twenty-seven. She woke up to this new age in a hotel room in Houston, Texas, where she had arrived the day before along with Santana and Kitty. She preferred to sleep in on her birthdays but today, like the year before, she had work to do and couldn't afford to miss a beat. 

She met for breakfast with the girls out in one of the hotel patios, privately having eggs and pancakes before the long day ahead. During this nobody said anything other than 'Happy Birthday' as neither Kitty nor Santana knew what kind of mood to expect Julie to be in.

However, Julie did not appreciate the silence, putting her fork down after a long while and saying, "Alright, does anyone plan on talking at all or what? Why are you two acting weird?"

"Us?" said Santana. "You're the one who's a ticking time bomb. This time last year you were just hours from breaking up the solid relationship you had built up with Ryder."

"Plus, we know Houston was where you and Caleb officially got together," Kitty added. "You kissed for the first time and everything seemed to be looking up. We thought it might be a bit depressing to think about the fact that almost eight months later everything has gone to shit."

Julie made a face at her and said, "Yeah, it's a little weird. But mostly, I'm glad that I'm thriving. Seriously. I usually get so depressed after break ups and let everything fall apart but I learned from the last one with Ryder that focusing on my work gets me where I need to be so that's what I'm going to do with this Latin Grammy's performance. Speaking of which, Santana we should probably hurry up and head to our sound check soon."

"Oh true," Santana agreed, stuffing a final mouthful and then getting up.

Julie collected her coat and purse, asking, "Kitty, you'll be fine staying here all day?"

"Actually, I'll be going to Vince's after all," Kitty told her. 

"But I thought Taylor's mom had a surgery or something and she was out of town with her."

"She is," Kitty nodded. "But Vince actually ended up sticking around so I'm going to be spending time with him. Not weird at all. Anyway, I'll be fine. Good luck."