Chapter 95: Promise Part 1

I don't feel like making a visual for the albums chart so here:

#8(+2) Black Roses - Juliet Vasquez - peak: 1 - 55 weeks
#21(+1) Who I've Been - Crystal Army - peak: 1 - 66 weeks
#77(+13) Don't Look Back - Travis Hilton - peak: 1 - 40 weeks
#83(+3) Generation Love - Sarah Linley - peak: 25 - 24 weeks
#156(-15) Stand Down - Rhythmix - peak: 4 - 53 weeks

------------------------------------

"McKinley Prom 2024?" said Julie, hanging upside down at the edge of her hotel room. "Is this for real?" 

"I believe it is," said John. After a week and a half of going around the biggest cities in the country, Julie had another week left before she was done promoting the single. Then she'd release her song with Sam, which would hopefully promote itself to the top with just one snippet about them and their family for the public, and then she could move on to her album, which was not the finish line but the biggest checkpoint before it. 

Julie tried to get up but accidentally dropped her phone, so she let her arms hang down and stayed that way, the blood rushing down to her face as she stared at the floor, which seemed more like a ceiling from where she was.

"Well, it says on there that the theme is Prom," said Julie, staring at her phone and hoping it would somehow magically slide back her way. "The theme of a prom can't be Prom. Right?"

"I don't know," John said. Beside him was a plastic bag which had been ripped open and stretched out, a sizable blunt sitting on it. He picked it up and reached for the lighter that sat next to his foot but decided to set it back down. He'd had enough.

"What are you doing today?" John asked.

"Nothing for the next two," said Julie, sitting up finally. She reached down for her phone and added, "And then filming the Ellen thing that's gonna air on Wednesday. And then I'm done until Monday."

"Can you cancel it?" he asked.

"An Ellen interview?" Julie asked. "Why would I want to? She's richer than I am, you know."

"Same," John responded. He stared at the TV, on which an episode of Phineas and Ferb was rerunning, and began to laugh at the moving images.

Julie looked at the TV and then back at him. "You're really baked, aren't you?" she asked.

"Yeah," he laughed. "You want some."

He offered her the pot but she shook her head. "I don't wanna be high on TV."

"It'll wear off by then," John said. "Come on. I've been with you for over a week and I know you're, like, really stressed and... And this will help. I promise." Julie looked at the blunt between his thumb and index finger in disgust. "Also," John said, "I'm ditching all my fans I was supposed to be meeting and performing for to be with you. Come on, you've never ever tried it."