Chapter 41: Memory Lane

When Finn Hudson woke up on the morning of March 11th, he panicked at the sight of the alarm clock. It was 6 AM already?

Most Saturdays he could've afforded to sleep in but today he had a football team to train and couldn't afford to be late. This could've been different had he not been out late the previous night at Juliet Vasquez's album launch party, but that had definitely happened. 

He turned to his side, wanting to kiss his wife before he got up, but her place on the bed was empty. It was 6 AM. Why was her bed already made?

He quickly put on clothes and made his way out to the living room. From there, he heard Rachel saying, "What's wrong with the ones you're wearing now?"

"These shoes are red," their six-year-old daughter Olivia said. "I want blue shoes."

"But you love red," Rachel said, confused. "It's your favorite color."

"Now it's baby blue," Olivia said as Finn walked into the kitchen, where they were having breakfast at the table. "Baby blue is Amity Hills's favorite color."

"Amity Hills, huh?" said Rachel with a sigh, looking up at Finn. "Oh good morning hon. Should I get you breakfast?"

"No, I'll just have some cereal," Finn said, reaching for a box on top of the fridge. To Olivia he said, "Good morning, Liv. What's this I hear about you changing your favorite color? You swore you loved red."

"I did," Olivia said. "But I heard that Amity is better than Juliet and Amity loves baby blue."

Rachel and Finn exchanged looks. "Who did you hear that from?" Finn asked.

"Camilla," said Olivia, referring to the seven-year-old daughter of Finn's step-brother, Kurt Anderson-Hummel and his husband Blaine Hummel-Anderson. 

"Camilla," Rachel repeated. "How did I not guess it? Eat your toast, sweetie." As Finn sat down with his cereal bowl beside them, she added, "Camilla sure has been saying a lot of things lately. Last week Olivia came home from school and said at lunch Camilla told everyone that Amity is the biggest popstar in America."

Olivia nodded in confirmation so Finn laughed, "It's just because she hears it from Blaine, who works closely with Amity at the label. But it's ok. The girls should be allowed to have favorite singers to look up to and Amity's a nice girl."

Rachel ignored him and told Olivia, "Listen to me, Liv. I need you to know that no matter who Camilla or your friends at school like, you should like the things that you want to like, ok? If all the girls are getting haircuts, you don't have to chop off your beautiful hair, ok?"

"Ok mommy..." sighed Olivia.

Rachel smiled up at Finn and added, "I think she's still going to want those new shoes, though, so I think after we go to the D-O-C appointment right now, I can take her to Payless or something."

"I know you spelled doc," Olivia frowned. "I'm almost six you know."

"We know honey," Rachel said, giving her a kiss on the forehead as she stood up. "We better head out soon."

Finn checked his watch and nearly spat out his milk. "Yeah, I should get going soon, too. Long day ahead of us, huh?"

"Yeah," Rachel nodded, leaning down to give him a kiss. "Good luck with the football training camp."

"Good luck with the appointment and shopping," Finn responded after the kiss. "See you at lunch?"

"We will," Rachel agreed, and they went off to their separate ways.