Chapter 40: Freaking Amity

The final part of the Christina Grimmie chapters. Please check out her music because not enough people did when she was still alive and I think she deserves better. May she rest in peace and live on through her music forever <3  

-----------------------------

"Hey, Alex," Amity called after Alex as he left the room, having just discussed at length how they could turn the tour into a bigger tour. It had been decided that Julie would join as a third opening act but that she would get a set as big as the one the guys had, which cut everyone's sets down a bit.

"Yeah?" he responded, eager to get out and tell Julie the news.

"What was all of that about?" she asked him. "I thought you had my back?"

"I do..." he said, confused.

Amity shook her head and said, "Our tour is now ridiculously cramped. Adding Julie takes away from everyone else's time, not to mention that it eliminates whatever advantage I had over her from being on this tour. What happened to everything you told me right before that meeting?"

"Oh..." Alex answered. "Sorry, Amity... I guess I forgot about that."

"Yeah," Amity said, "I guess you did forget."

"I'm sorry," he apologized again. "It's just that when we started talking tour I kept thinking about how Julie lost hers and I wanted to help her out somehow so I did. I wasn't thinking about how it would affect you."

Amity opened her mouth but then closed it and narrowed her eyes on him. "You know, Alex... There was a time when that's the way you were when it came to me. You thought of me first. Of what would benefit me most. Of helping me. And I've noticed how quickly you jump to her rescue now. When she had the twins. When she broke up with Ryder. These last few weeks."

"She's my best friend," Alex told her, unsure where this was going. Amity crossed her arms and wondered whether she should even say what she was thinking so he asked, "What is it? Tell me."

"I..." Amity said slowly. "I guess what I'm trying to say is... I can't help wondering if... Do you love her?"

Alex stared at her, confused. Then he answered, "Duh." She raised her eyebrows so he said, "Oh? You mean love her?"

"Yeah, like 'you and me for seven years' love her," she clarified.

Alex stared at her once again and then laughed. "Are you serious?" She nodded. "Amity, that's crazy. Julie is my best friend other than John and I care about her but I'm not looking to be Izzy and Gaby's daddy, no. I'm not in love with her."

"Are you sure?" Amity asked. "Because not long ago you were in love with me but today you put her above me, above Lyric, above your band mates, your label, yourself..."

"I think I'd know if I was in love with her," Alex assured her.

But she asked, "Would you?" He didn't respond so she sighed, "I don't know Alex... Maybe I'm crazy. But while you figure that out, I'm going to figure out how to keep from falling back in her shadow since you've just taken care of pushing me back towards it. Bye Alex."

"Amity wait," Alex called out, hating how he'd stopped thinking about her benefit just like that earlier. But Amity had said all she wanted to say and didn't want to hear anything right now.

She walked into the elevator and pressed the first floor's button, crossing her arms and taking deep breaths. She would not break down over this because it wasn't worth it.

["Deception" by Christina Grimmie.]

Amity: You didn't ever care for me. You didn't ever care for me, oh. You didn't ever care for me. You didn't ever care for me, oh. You didn't ever care for me. You didn't ever care for me, oh.