Chapter 79: Walls in the Sand

^Share to save a life (IRL, not in the story, oops).

---------------------------------------

"I just can't believe any of this is real," Marley said as she sat beside Dean, her arms hugging one of his for comfort. "It doesn't seem real."

"It's awful," Kitty agreed from across the living room. They were at Bree's house, where they along with Ryder, Julie, Jake and Leila had gathered before Jesse's funeral. It was the Thursday after the incident and some had been able to put a pause on their lives to fly back to Lima while others were unfortunately unable to attend but sent their best to the loved ones.

"I feel so bad for Quinn," Bree said, shaking her head. "To have the person you love taken away from you and in such an incredibly disgusting manner is just... She must be a wreck."

"Shana says Santana is in a worse state," Leila told them. "Quinn and her little guy 'ave been staying in their house but it's Santana they have to take care of most. Poor woman blames herself for what happened."

"I hate this," said Ryder, shaking his head. "It's so... sad. Just sad, I can't think of any other word for it." He turned to Julie, who had been sitting still and quiet the entire time they'd been there, hardly showing any sign that she was present. "How are you holding up?" Ryder asked.

She didn't answer, her gaze fixed on the coffee table. There was a small circular plate on there, with navy blue, flat marbles scattered on top of it. She couldn't stop staring at those marbles.

"Julie?" asked Jake, who was sitting beside her. He put a hand on her shoulder to get her attention, which only made her jump up startled, as though she had forgotten there were other people there.

"Hm?" she said, looking around at everyone. 

"Are you ok to go to this?" Kitty asked. "Because I told you if you preferred to stay home, we—"