Chapter 39: Make It Work

Like my current favorite Fifth Harmony song, "I Lied" about there being one more chapter of the Christina Grimmie series left. This one turned out so long that I split it into two and I will post the next part as soon as enough people have read this one that I can move on. 

Also, I'm really immature so I took a screenshot of this before any more comments came in.

------------------------------------------

"So you're out of rehab for good now?" Nick asked Julie as he led her to the porch swing next to the front door. They sat down side by side and then Nick added, "Like you're not going back later?"

"I guess not," Julie sighed. "It feels good, getting a chance to get back to my life. Which reminds me, I was going to call you about this later either way but now that you're here I can just tell you. Wait... Why are you here?"

"I'm working with Lyric on getting her a good radio deal," he said. "I was in Pittsburgh and headed to L.A. so I figured I'd stop by and meet with her in person."

"That's so nice of you," she smiled. "Lyric is so talented and a great person. I'm glad you're helping her out. She completed her entire album in my home studio so it's like we're in business together again. Which leads me into our actual business."

"Right."

"My album... Nick, it comes out in two days."

"I know," he said. "Just a day and a few hours if you think about the fact that it's coming out at midnight."

"Yes, exactly," Julie nodded. "And I've been locked away getting treated so I haven't been able to go out and promote it. The song, sure. It got its promo and then even more when I had my whole live meltdown thing. But it's not enough. I'll get a decent debut but I don't want to see a tragic sales drop the next week. The plan was to keep the album alive with the world tour. Six months on the road with you in Europe, Asia, South America, Australia... That was the original leg that I was joining you on anyway. And I need to keep that plan. I know it was unsure whether I would the last few days but I'm good now. I'm healthy and I'm ready."

"Julie..." he said in a tone that told her not to expect anything good. "I'd love to tell you that we can just jump right back to what we had in mind weeks ago but things have changed now. The label was anticipating that you'd spent months in treatment. Not a week and a half."

"I know but—"

"The tour manager already replaced you," he told her bluntly. "I tried to hold off on any decisions but they've already signed on Myra O'Brien to take your place. She's going to release her second album in about a month so the tour will really help."

"Myra..?" she repeated slowly, not processing the new information quickly enough.

"I'm sorry," he continued, "but that's just the way this has to be. I can't compromise the tour or your safety by allowing you to join a huge tour like this one just days after you've gotten out of rehab. That's just not the proper procedure for these things."