Lilly Pad

They walked along a long road as the sun rose in the east. She stared at it with tired eyes as they traveled along. She knew what was to come, unbearably hot weather. Sir Adams walked along as if it was nothing and she finally stopped and he looked to her.

"How long are we supposed to travel for?" She whispered and he turns his head as he folds his arms. "How long have we been traveling?"

"Hmm..... You mean avoiding danger at every turn? About two months." He whispered and she groaned as he shakes his head. "Look we just need to keep moving."

"It's going to get hot though!" She shouts and he narrows his eyes and she frowns. "Haven't you heard word yet?"

"Well.... Of course, but none that says we can return." He says sighing and she shakes her head as he looks up then sighs. "Let's get a move on. I have a feeling the next place we stay you will like."

They walked along the path and passed by various supply wagons and such as they went along. The hotter the air became, the more wagons showed up. She began to lag behind causing Sir Adams to sigh and wait for her to catch up. She grumbled and hurried along as he grabbed her arm dragging her the rest of the way down the hill. Then, at the bottom of a large hill, a small town lies and her eyes light up.

"People!" She cheered as she charged forward and he yanked her bag. "Wahhhhh!" She flings back into his surprisingly broad chest.

"Don't just run out like everything is fine and dandy. There could be enemies anywhere." He hissed and she scrunched up her nose as they carefully walked into the town.

Vegetable and fruit stands line the streets and there in the center, a large fountain stands. Clothing stores and other nice looking accessory carts with people coming in and out. Her eyes sparkled at the sight of all the things and people as Sir Adams stared and watched the people around them. Then, like a bolt of lightning she charged and hid behind a building and he stared at her.

"What's wrong?" He asked peering at her wide eyes.

"I look horrible!" She hisses and he sighs as looking around. "We've been in the woods for two months with no baths or anything!" She hissed and he nods as he looks around then nods.

"Just stay hear out of site." He says as he hurries away and she shrinks into the shadows waiting for him to return.

When he returns, he has bags and such filling his arms and she stares at him. He smiled slightly and then nodded as they hurried into a hotel. She bathed and sunk into the feeling of finally being clean then changed into the clothes he had got for her. A very comfortable outfit mostly likely for the travel. There, in the bottom of the bag, a small box sat in there and she frowned calling to him.

"Yes?" He asks piping his head inside the bag. "Oh that? I had a feeling you were missing home then I remembered that pond with the lilies and how the King told me you always went down to look at them.... So I found this necklace so maybe to relief you."

"You did that for me?" She whispered and he shrugged as she smiled slightly. "Thank you."

"Well.... It's my job to protect you and make you as comfortable as possible." He said as he bowed and she felt a pang of disappointment. It was true after all, he only saw her as the princess....

•*•*•

"Well? How the path look?" I whisper as I sit up and Charlie shakes his head. "Flooded?"

"By about 3 feet." He says and sighs as I shake my head. "It is rather a low spot so it makes sense."

"Can't we just wade through it?" I ask and he chuckles as I sigh.