Bonfires and S'mores

"Kenny, what's going on?" Ms. Tina asks as he leads up down towards the lake and we sigh. "Where are the boys?" She asks and he waves his hand away in dismay. It was a day after the fiasco of a hike and I wasn't particularly happy in having to stay up late after today's game of soccer.

     "Well.... I had heard about something from some people and decided to plan something!" He says happily and we all stare at him as Ms. Tina sighs slightly irritated.

     "Way to give us the details..." She whispers and we all sigh as we stumble down the sand banks. There, past the pier, a large glow illuminates shadows and I stare over at them. Hurrying along, we stumble across the banks and as I come upon the glow closer.

     The boys run around happily shouting with joy as we run forward and Kenny smiles. Dean and Adam both have hangers and seem to be fighting. Charlie watched them as he opens several packets of chocolate. Dean flies by and Charlie sighs as he waves at me happily. I smile and Violet and Daisy both share a look as I hurry and sit beside him.

     "What's the big deal?" I ask as he shrugs and puts a marshmallow onto a hanger holding it over the flames that climb  high in the sky.

     I watch as the white puffy sugar begin to turn brown at the edges. It begins to puff up and bubble and I smile as he pulls it out and Dean comes over with his gram crackers and chocolate ready as he takes the marshmallow and runs off as Charlie glares. Dean smiles like a happy kid taking a bite and I shake my head as I get a marshmallow and hold it into the fire.

     "Um..... Drew..... You might not want to-" It lights with flames and I let out a shrill shriek as I try to blow it out. Charlie laughs at me and Dean stares from across the fire and I stare at the smoking marshmallow. Completely black. "Looks like coal...." He mumbles and I glare as he smiles setting up a gram cracker and chocolate pulling it off. "Here."

     "Actually..... I was making it for you...." I grumble and he smiles slightly. "Sorry it's burnt."

     "I actually like burnt ones at times...." He mumbles and takes a bite with a happy smile. "But let me show you how to make one correctly." He states then sets up his marshmallow over the flames. He waits silently as I watch intently and everyone else does at well. He turns it over and in no time it's perfectly golden brown. He sets it up and hands it to me as everyone crowds around with amazed eyes.

      "Psssh..... That's easy...." Dean grumbles as I take a big bite and smile happily as everyone looks at him. "Anyone can do it!"

     "Okay..... Then do it...." Charlie says plainly as everyone looks at Charlie with wide eyes and Dean glares.

     "Challenge.... Accepted." Dean hisses as he grabs his sword (hanger) and shield (marshmallow) then he begins.

•*•*•

     We all stare at the large pile of black rocks that were once puffy marshmallows and he stares at the almost empty bag. "Just one more...." He whispers reaching out and Charlie yanks the bag away as we all glare.

     "No!" We shout and he pouts as Charlie takes several marshmallows onto one hanger. Like an expert, he makes the golden brown s'mores and everyone claps.

     He hands them out as everyone digs in happily all except Dean who takes a stroll down to the edge of the pier. Everyone talks and laughs happily as Charlie chews on a newly made one happily. Frowning, I make one, burnt once more, not as bad as Dean's and stand up walking down the pier. Dean sits on the very edge and I quietly sit beside him.