Dandelions

They step along the path heading back towards the castle with a cool breeze blowing against them. Her heart swims with joy knowing she was so close to home, and she glances towards Sir Adams. His hair had grown over the few months together when traveling, yet it seemed to suit him fairly well. As her eyes waver, a rush of wind tosses her hair adrift and she quickly tucks it away.

"What a draft." She mutters and he step forward glancing at the sky.

"A storm is coming..." He replies as his eyes narrow and he nods firmly. "Let's pick up the pace."

"Alright." She nods back and they push forward.

Despite the one small rush of wind, the storm never happened as the traveled along. Of course she was completely okay with not being caught in a storm as they step along a too familiar path. Her eyes sprang open and she charged forward and look out over the cliff. Below, the crystal lake swirled and far off the green land and tall White Castle stands.

"That's it... We are home." She whispers and turns to him eyes wet with tears.

"Yes it is... It was an honor to protect you and have this journey with you." He said as he bowed down and she stared at him blankly. "After today I go back to being a high captain of the Guild."

"You mean.... We won't get to talk anymore?" She asked and steps towards him.

"Only if the moment allows it." He says and she bites her lip holding back a wave of emotion. "What is that look for, You Highness?"

"No..." She mumbles and he tilts his head as she glares. "Don't call me that... Call me by my name, you know my name, so say it!"

"Your Hi-"

"Please Kenny...." She chocked out through tears and his body froze. His heart banged in his chest and he swallows a huge lump in his throat. His body began to burn with such an overwhelming urge to hold her and call her by her name like there wasn't a difference between them. But there was, and he knew that all to well.

"I can not." He says and she raised her head. "I am a knight, and you are the princess, if I call you by your name, that would be disrespectful."

"So... When we get home, we just act like we never had these three months of adventure?" She asks eye wide and he nods firmly. Clenching her fists, she nods and wipes her cheeks as her eyes turn cold and she turns. "Then let us continue."

•*•*•

After a short while, they take a small break at a waterhole. She stare at her reflection as he leans against the tree watching her. He wanted to freeze time and stay with her like this, like there wasn't a status wedge between them. His heart ached for it, and to him that was a sin against his oath to the kingdom.

"I wish for a great friend." He glances up to see her holding a fluffy weed and his eyes widen. She grips the dandelion tightly and he watches as she blows gently and they float away over the water.

She raises her head to watch her wish float away and she lays the the stem down as she stands up and turns looking at him. In that moment, his entire body lurched forward and he gripped her hands tightly.

"Sir Adams?!" He knelt down and slams his fist into his chest. "What are you doing?"

"What I should have done a long time ago." He whispers and looks up. "It was wrong of me to say we couldn't stay together after this. Truthfully, we can't unless it's one particular way."

"What way?" She asks eyes wide and he smiles softly.

"I will be your knight... The one to protect you at the kingdom." He says and bows his head. "I swear on the Knight's Oath to protect you even if it is to take my life... Forever this time." He looks up and her eyes stay wide. "As your friend.... Do you accept?"

"Yes." She nods firmly and he smiles standing up and wrapping his arms around her tightly.

It wasn't what he wanted, he wanted to be more that just her knight, but it is the only way to stay close to the woman he loved. And to him, that was the entire world...

They stepped along side by side and came upon another cliff. She peers over and gasps as the ragging water below. Sir Adams pulls her back gently and she frowns. Far off, dark clouds were flowing over the blue sky in a hurried pace. A far off boom of thunder vibrates the ground and she grips onto his arm tightly.

"Your Highness, relax, everything will be alright." He says smiling gently and she nodded looking towards the sky.

She watched as the sky opened and a flash of blue light hit a tree from above. The tree fell towards Sir Adams and she reached out pushing him out of the way. The branch hit hard against her and she slipped off the edge of the cliff. His voice reached her ears as she watched him get farther and farther away. Then, she hit something and everything went white.

•*•*•

I sit up quickly panting as I look around. My body completely drenched in sweat. My heart hammers in my chest and I wipe away a stray tear. My voice falls in small mutters as I speak the truth of what happened so many years ago.

"The lake isn't cursed because he died... It's cursed because the woman he loved died protecting him when he should have been protecting her..." I wrap my arms around myself and gently let out a cry. My eyes burn as I look up at the dark window and through the tears, I see a man almost identical to Sir Adams staring at me with lifeless eyes. Gently, he bows his head and turns away. "I'm sorry..." I grumble and bite my lip burying my face into my pillow.

•*•*•

Thanks so much for reading! We have one more chapter and this story is done... I'm sorry it took so long to update!

Anyway, I love you guys and I'm so happy you've joined me for this story! I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing. Thanks again, please vote, comment , add and or follow for more stories.