Competitions Begin For Real

As the team wars die down, the practice for the talent show vamps up. Day in and day out we practice our songs as the sun pounds down on us. My head pounds as I stare at the strings of the guitar. Dean lies flat on his back as he drapes a hand over his eyes. His Adam's apple bobbing up and down with his breaths. Adam lies his head on his drum as Timothy and Will stick to the shade. Another horribly hot day and we are forced to practice under these conditions.

"So hot." I mutter as I slump down onto the ground and slip the guitar off my shoulders. "Do we seriously have to stand out here Dean?"

"Have to practice." He mumbles sitting up and I glare slightly. "Even is this heat."

"Look at everyone! Dean we are too tired to do this right now." I bark and flop down onto my back staring up at the white puffy clouds. "Can't we take a break today?"

"No because-"

"Hey! You guys today is the writing and drawing competition!" Daisy calls and I sit up. "The results come out this evening!"

"Crap...." I mumble and standup dusting myself off. "I have to do that..."

"Wait, you're entering?" He asks eyes wide as Adam stands up wobbling over to us.

"Yeah... I already have it down just need to turn it in." I mumble as I look at him and stretch. "Sorry, but give them a break for a little while alright?"

"What a saint." Will mumbles giving me a tiny smile as I jump down and Dean grabs my arm slightly.

"Hey Drew...." He mumbles and I turn my head to look at him. My breath catching in my throat having him so close. "Good luck." He whispers pushing me slightly as I give him a nod. Stepping away, I march towards the cabin to grab the drawing.

I step into the air conditioned room and the thought of sitting inside drinking cold pop. Sounds a lot better than having to stand out in the bleeding sun as it burns my skin. I shake my head as I pull my sketch book under my pillow and flip to the page with my sketch. I gently touch the pencil markings and smile as I tuck it under my arm and head back out into the hell like heat.

Walking along the path, I find my way to the main building with a line extending out a little under half a mile. My heart sinks and I stand at the end of the line. Pushing up on my toes to see over everyone, I let out a sigh and clutch the drawing more.

"Well well well.... Look who's entering...." Jenny mumbles from behind me and I turn looking at her. "Can you even draw with those man-hands of yours."

"Pardon me?" I asks as I glare slightly. "I don't think I said anything to even piss you off but alright."

"Oh please, get off your high horse." She hisses as she rolls her eyes. "I thought you were a sore loser who didn't want anything to do with this camp, and now I hear you're entering into the talent show.... Can you even play?"

"Yes I can." I mumble and turn my back to her. She's the worst person at this camp, but I'm not going to argue with her over something so stupid. I take in a deep breath as the doors open and the line moves forward. My palms sweaty against the sketch and I quickly wipe them off and walk inside.

•*•*•

"So?" Daisy asks as I step into the ice cream place where everyone else waits. "How'd it go?"

"Well, I just turned it in.... I had a quick look around and then they pulled us out for judging..." I mumble and look around as I take a seat next to Dean. "What's the big deal, why is everyone so excited?"