Indian Paint Brush

The wind blows with a coming storm as her hair whips and he looks to her. His heart gave in and his heart beat shook his body. He couldn't understand what was going on inside his mind. His head begins to pound and he can't think straight anytime she smiled. He had a feeling of what was beginning to grow, but he couldn't allow it. He knew that she was royalty and he was just a knight who came from a very lowly background. He knew if he admitted to his feelings, everything would crash down into utter chaos.

     "Sir Adams...." She whispered as she walk along looking to the sky. "Is there a storm coming?"

      "Yes.... Supposed to be fairly bad." He answers as he was along trying his hardest not to look at her. "Why?"

     "I.... Just don't like storms...." She whispers as she looks up to the large wall of gray and black clouds. Her eyes have a sad glaze and his heart reaches out to her, but he couldn't actually do that.

     As they walked along, the distant sound of water falling catches his attention and they hurry down towards it. A large pool of water drags down towards the creek with a waterfall at its start. The water is completely clear, like glass almost, and they both reached down taking large drinks. The journey had dragged on, and they had heard word about the castle finally free of attack. They had came across a small town and began their journey home. At the top of a large hill they seemed to be climbing, they should be able to have a clear view. Months had passed since that faithful night, and now, their journey was coming to an end.

     "I feel so much better!" She cheered out as she looks out over the pool of water. "Fresh water is wonderful." Her body shook as she let out a deep sigh and leaned back.

     It has been hotter than before, and they dripped swear with only a few moments of being outside. The water began to lessen with the intense heat, and it became harder to find.

     "Maybe the rain will help raise the water again." He mumbled as she nodded and they went away as the continued up the large hill.

     "Over this hill, I can see my home!" She cheered as he gave her a small smile and continued on. "Are you happy to go back?!"

     "Of course...." He whisper and shrugs as she looks at his face.

"Are we still going to talk and hang out once we get back?" She asked eyes bright and he shakes his head. "Huh? How come?"

"I'm just a knight. I can't talk to you." He whispered and she stared at him. He knew what he was doing, and it was the right thing to do.

He had to do his best to separate everything he felt and do his duty to bring her home. That was his job, that is what he crossed his heart for and bared the troubles of the King for. All because he knew he had to protect them all...

•*•*•

They rose above the hill and out laid a large road that in the distance, ended in a tall castle. Out past it all, her eyes spring with tears and she turned to him. His heart leapt and he looked out towards the large shadow in the distance. It was true, their journey was coming to its end. In the back of his head he felt a small thought, one that told him to take her hand and they can run away. He stuffs the feeling deep down looking at his feet as she smiled.

"We are so close Sir Adams!" She cheered as he nodded and a drop of water fell on his face. "Huh?" She looked up and rain began to fall heavy from the sky. He took her arm and ran for some sort of cover.

His hair was already slick and soaked, and ahead laid a large cabin with yellow dusted Windows. He ran forward and they tumbled inside. Dust was thick and his body instantly grew cold.

"Are you alright?" He whispered as she nodded, but he could hardly see his own hand. They cowered towards the little light of the window.

"I'm okay... Are you?" She whispered as he nodded and they leaned into the wall.

The rain pounded against the roof as they shivered and he had to do the only thing he knew what to do. He pulled her close for warmth. It was to help her, so she wouldn't grow cold, or, that's what he told himself. The hours went on and the shared warmth began to leave. Her teeth chattered as he shivered and looked down at her.

"W-what if we die?" She whispers and looks at him. "Sir Adams.... I-it's cold..."

"I know.... I'm so sorry your highness...." He whispered as he pulled her closer and she listened to his racing heart. Somewhere, it calmed her as she breathed out. "We aren't going to die... I-I won't let that happen."

"How?" She whispered looking up to him as lighting flashed against the sky. Her body lurched back and she cowered away.

"I'm getting you home... Even if it's the last thing I do!" He states and her eyes widen as he nods to her. "I'll do whatever it takes... You aren't going to die here. You're going to die old and happy with your family surrounding you. You'll be warm, not cold, and not afraid either!" He shouts as he pulls her closer. "Just stay warm."

In that moment, her eyes closed as she did her best to stay warm. She thought of fire and the castle, the love of her parents. Then, in her mind, she thought of him. The man she spent 3 months with and how he protected her till this very day.

"I've just realized..." She whispered as she leaned back and he peered into her eyes. "I don't know your name..." His heart panged against his chest and he knew then that he couldn't deny it. He had to tell her his name...

"Right... My name is Kenny Adams, knight of the The Lanston Kingdom." He whispered and her eyes widen as she smiles extending a hand.

"Tina Fay." She whispers back as they shake hands.

His body warmed automatically with the soft touch of her hands. Her warm smile and the fact that a storm was ragging outside. In his head he said something different, but in his heart he could no longer deny it...

He was in love. . .

•*•*•

Thanks so much for reading!!! I hope you enjoyed and I know it took forever! We are just 10 chapters away until the end!!! I love you all that stayed for so long! Please check out my new story!!!! Anyway, please, vote, comment, add and follow for more stories and updates. Thanks again!