Joe Imagine: Butterfly

Joe smiled watching you and your daughter, Ruby, chase a butterfly.

"Come on Ruby, you've almost got it!" You cheered to the small two year old, awkwardly running after the small insect. Ruby let out a giggle that was music to Joe's ears. He watched as she cupped the butterfly in her hands carefully.

"You got it!" You gasped. Ruby smiled and opened her hands carefully.

"Daddy!" Ruby called. Joe walked over to the two of you and watched the small yellow butterfly that sat in his daughters hand.

"It's beautiful Ruby, just like you." Joe smiled, taking her chin in his hands carefully. Ruby laughed and looked up at Joe with those blue eyes. Joe chuckled and looked over at you.

"And beautiful like you." He added, kissing you.

"Thanks for comparing me to an insect, Romeo." You teased. Joe laughed and wrapped an arm around you, watching as the butterfly flew away.

He opened his eyes to see your eyes watching him as the blood dripped from your lips. He sniffled feeling the warmth from your body disappear.

"Ruby? Ruby!?" Joe called hopelessly. He walked up to her room and saw the little girl asleep in bed. Joe breathed out a sigh of relief and walked to her.

"Wake up Ruby, we've gotta go." He sighed picking up the child. He noticed she was colder than usual. He took a closer look and gasped at her blue lips.

"No...no, Ruby please get up." He sobbed. He laid his daughter back in the bed and noticed a note. He picked it up and read it:

You saved Rock and Roll but couldn't save your own family
- Courtney xo

Joe dropped to his knees and let out a scream of anguish into the stillness of the night.