Song: I Know Places by Taylor Swift

yes I know 🐍🐍🐍 BUT if you know the lyrics to the song you'll see how well it fits with this prologue.

The first two lines of the prologue in italics are lyrics from the song.

*came back to edit this and realized I've been writing prologues wrong this entire time. so this isn't a prologue. it's just a scene that happens later on in the book for you guys to see whether this book is worth reading ;)

 Enjoy xx

t.m

🔮 🔮 🔮

They are the hunters we are the foxes, and we run.

Just grab my hand and don't ever drop it, my love.

  Considering the numerous times I have spent my childhood playing out in the woods with Atticus, and Nymeria bounding along by my side, I thought to myself that I should be knowing these woods by heart

Considering the numerous times I have spent my childhood playing out in the woods with Atticus, and Nymeria bounding along by my side, I thought to myself that I should be knowing these woods by heart. But once the sun sets and the moon emerges from hiding, nothing looks the same.

My alert eyes squinted in the ominous darkness, lungs burning and screaming for oxygen as I sprinted through the woods. In the distance, the hounds howled wildly, shouts and jeers of The Saviors resonating through the deadly silent trees. They were getting closer. I looked over my shoulder, keeping my legs moving as I did so. The only way I was able distinguish the men was by their torches, the cadmium yellow tone of the flames appeared like bright orange splotches in the distance.

A strangled cry left my lips when I spun my head back forwards too quickly, a sharp tree branch cutting my cheek. I felt warm crimson liquid trickle down the skin of my cheek as I forced myself to run, jumping over branches that blocked my way. With another glance over my shoulder, I quickly moved behind a tree, pressing my back against it to catch a breath.

"Fuck," I cursed to myself, scrunching my eyes shut as I tried to calm myself down.

Never in my life have I ever felt so alone. Alone and scared. All my life has been spent with me being surrounded by friends and family, friends and family who've protected me and wouldn't let any harm come to me. Now as I stood in the middle of the pitch-black forest with The Saviors and their bloodhounds sniffing me out. I knew myself I was fully capable of taking down every single man who were chasing me, but my fear and panic of being alone was taking over me so quickly I was losing hope.

My heart slammed against my ribcage as I breathed out heavily, my breaths coming out short and ragged. My hand reached up to clasp the golden pentagram necklace that laid on my chest, my thumb running over the five-pointed star as I prayed to all the gods above for help. All the confidence and bravery that was usually there inside of me left my body when I heard the barking of the hounds, now nearer than ever.