Well Great -Leonard McCoy

"I can't believe I agreed to this."

Your commanding officer McCoy entered the Med Bay, obviously oblivious to your presence due to his apparent anger. He started tossing things off his desk, making room for his feet as he slumped in his office chair. You try to make yourself smaller against the bed monitor on the floor that you were repairing before you were suddenly interrupted. You weren't sure if you should announce yourself or not. Tucking some loose hairs behind your ear, you peek over the top of the bed and spy McCoy as he placed his hands on his face as he continued to mumble angrily under his breath. You smirk and take the opportunity to sneak closer, taking care to be quiet, leaning against his open doorframe.

"You know; I never took you for a sulking kind of man. I always knew you liked to complain, but sulk; not a chance." You look at your fingernails as if you were bored with the subject already. You hear the scrape of his chair and the smack of his shoes hitting the floor. His usual catch phrase fell from his lips as you looked up, laughing at the exact reaction you were hoping for.

"Good God woman!" He stands up, crossing his arms and looking pointedly at you. "Have you ever heard of knocking?" You aren't phased by his anger, but instead, you laugh a little harder, walking forward and sitting on the corner of his desk.

"I thought about it, but I honestly liked this reaction a lot better in my head."

"And I take it you aren't disappointed."

"Not in the slightest." You grin at him, watching the anger fall from his face only to be replaced with concern. He looks away and you follow him with your eyes, leaning a little closer, lowering your voice. "Hey, what's eating you?"

McCoy glances at you and for a moment you thought he was going to blow up in your face, but he looks down again, running his hand through his hair. You scoot a little closer and rest a hand on his arm. You just sat there until he felt comfortable enough to talk.

"It's my girl. Johanna. I told her I wouldn't be gone for too long but then I go up and sign on for five solid years." He rubs his face with his hands.

He let out a low and long breath, clearing his throat, he leans back on his hands against the desk. You cock your head to the side and scrunch your eyebrows in worry. This is really not like him. You stand up and stand in front of him, standing with your hands clasped behind your back. Leaning a bit forward, you looking under and up at his face.

"Bones, she isn't going to forget you." You whisper to him. "Or hate you." You hold your breath as you watch him closely.

He groans and moves his head up slowly, making eye contact with you. Your heart drops when you watch as his eyes fill with unshed tears. You let out a little noise of concern as you step just a bit closer. You reach forward to rub his arms up and down. You keep eye contact with him as he does his best to blink away his tears.

His voice rumbles low and cracks. "She is growing up so fast. I hate thinking that my little girl is out there doing all of her "firsts" and I won't be there to help her and teach her." McCoy looks down again, but you stop him by lightly grasping his chin, forcing him to look at you.

"Leonard, you are an amazing father. Remember that time you asked me to keep an eye on her when your hellion of an ex suddenly changed plans on you?" He smirks at that but lets you continue. "Johanna never went an hour without bringing up some story of you that left her with a smile on her face. You are in her life and she doesn't plan on letting you go." You smile slightly, rubbing his cheek with your thumb.

McCoy reaches up to grasp your hand on his cheek, his other hand resting on your waist. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again, his eyes roaming all over your face as if searching for something. Finally, he groans and leans forward, pressing his lips hurriedly yet gently onto yours. Shocked, you let him poor all his feelings into the kiss, letting him lean on you for once. You run your hands up his chest and into his hair, making sure to hold him tight as you felt tears fall onto your face. He wraps his arms around you, holding you close, not caring if he let his barriers down. Eventually, He pulls away, but looks to the side, not wanting to face you quite yet. You lean up and leave a small kiss on his jaw, then pushed down lightly on the back of his head to lay on your shoulder. He takes the hint and engulfs you in his arms. That's when he broke.

"Shhh. Let it out Bones, let it out." You coo quietly, rubbing his back with one hand, the other mindlessly playing with his hair. "Who would ever believe me when I tell them that Leonard Bones McCoy cried on my shoulder." At that, you feel him growl and you smile, kissing his cheek.

"You wouldn't dare." Bones pulls away but refused to let you go. You smile and look up at him, taking care to wipe the tears off his face. "Damn you woman and your words. I was fine keeping things to myself." He huffed but didn't look away this time.

You roll your eyes and rub his cheek again with your thumb. "Of course, you were. Now, do you plan on staying in here all day or are you going to go get a drink with the captain and tell him how you really feel about this mission?" You look at him questioningly, silently hoping he'd pick the first one in particular.

"Oh God. When it comes to Kirk and true feelings, he'd rather eat a whole jar of tribble dung then listen to my prattling."

"I had no idea tribbles even went to the bathroom."

Bones laughs out loud and leans down to kiss you again. "I guess you are right. You know I want to stay here, but he needs to know. God, I hate it when you are right." He smirks down at you, kissing you lightly again.

You smile and let him place little kisses all over your face until you heard the bay doors open. Like lightning, you both jumped apart and not too late. Jim Kirk walked into McCoy's office, an exasperated look on his face.

"Bones! There you are. We are about to take off." Then noticing you and your flushed face, he paused then looked back at Bones. "Come on man, you couldn't wait two more weeks? Now I owe Chekov two months' worth of drinks at the bar." He rolls his eyes and stomps out of the room. "You better be on the Bridge in five, WITH clothes on, or else I will personally see you transferred." Kirk threw that last statement over his shoulder before the doors shut.

You and Bones make eye contact causing you to burst out laughing and him glaring after his Captain's form.

"Well great. Now not only am I an apparent blubbering child, I am a horse to be bet on at the derby." He growls as he grasps your hand gently and leads you out of the Med Bay to the Bridge.

"But you won the race right?" You coyly reply, giggling like a school girl.

"The Captain said with clothes on, didn't he?"

"So I take that as a no."

"No, not quite." McCoy leans down to softly kiss the top of your head.

You smile and continue to laugh, leaning your head on his shoulder while sliding your arm through his. You didn't see it, but Leonard McCoy hasn't smiled this big since Johanna was born.