Try Again - McCoy

merlin_beards requested this, I hope you liked it!

You sniffed and wiped at a stray tear as you stared at the empty seat across from you. You picked at your food but didn't feel like eating. You knew that being the CMO's wife would mean late nights a few missed plans but you didn't think that those "few" would turn into a common occurrence. The patience that you prided yourself in having was wearing thin and that was worrying you. You and Leonard had always been good at communication and expressing personal feelings to each other, that is, until recently. Work for the both of you has been quite busy and tiresome but coming home to your husband always made you feel better.

But once he started coming home later and later you got annoyed. He would come home after you have gone to bed or even as you are getting ready for your early morning shift. You tried to talk to him, to see if there was something going on that you could help him with but he would grunt, kiss your forehead and go to bed. As you sat at the table, staring at his cold food,  you made up your mind. If he isn't going to talk to you or make an effort to make time for the both of you again, then might as well do as you pleased. Two can play at this game.

Leonard McCoy rubbed his face as he sat at his desk in sick bay. It wasn't until thirty minutes earlier that he remembered about your dinner plans. you were making his favorite home cooked meal and here he was working on things that really could wait until tomorrow. But, if he was being honest with himself, he already hated the fact he had missed you so much already that he couldn't bring himself to see you, let alone talk to you. He felt terrible and didn't know the first thing about making it up to you. So he did what any man would do when he knows he had made his wife upset; avoid the wrath. Probably not the wisest thing but at least he was alive. Yet deep down he missed you and hated himself for avoiding you. Perhaps it would be wise to at least see you and try apologizing.

If Jim can sleep with three different women in a week and still have the balls to have them over again, then Bones can talk to his wife who he so desperately loved.

The doctor stood and collected his things but then thought it be unwise to apologize to you with work in his hands. So with a deep breath, he left his dark office and walk what felt like miles to your shared apartment. He stood outside the door and ran his hand through his hair. He hoped you would banish him to the couch for at least a week. Hopefully.

He opened the door and opened his mouth to call out for you but his voice died in his throat. All the lights were off save for a small lamp that lit a personal PADD laying on a side table. Glancing around, he walked up to the PADD and picked it up. His heart hammered as he read the single line you wrote for him.

"Leftovers are in the fridge."

Leonard blinked. Did you leave? He dropped the PADD on the couch and looked around flipping on lights and calling your name.