Coincidence- Kirk (part two)

Jim stood up and wiped his brow, sweat trickling down his neck and arms. The sun beat down hard as the men worked to get their fifth building, a twelve-bedroom inn, up and functional. Two weeks after the devastating fire and Jim had yet to see the moral of the people wane. He searched for your shining (h/c) hair and smiled when he spied you laughing while you ladled water into an awaiting miner's cup. You looked up and smiled when you saw Jim's gaze on you.

But a dark shadow cast over the blond captain and he had to tear his eyes off of you. Bones stood before him, a PADD in his arms and a scowl on his face.

"Jim, you can't be serious."

Jim smiled up at his friend and gave him a one shoulder shrug. "What? It's not like we are going anywhere."

"Not until we are finished helping them get back on their feet. Which should be sooner rather than later. After that, we need to go back to being Starfleet's flagship crew. The Enterprise wasn't cut out to double as a colonization repair barge."

Jim nodded. "I know. But we have been with these people for this long. I don't think it would hurt to help them a bit longer."

"What will hurt is her when you have to be Captain again," he pointed to his PADD then pointed his thumb back in your direction, "and there isn't anything in my medical books or sick bay that can mend a broken heart. Trust me, I know, no thanks to you."

As always Jim appreciated his's friend words of caution but this time he didn't like the feeling of dread that accompanied it. Bones was right. How can two people from practically different worlds be together without leaving one of those lives behind?

It was simple. You can't.

The sound of giggling children running around drew their gaze and Bones sighed.

"Look. Just be careful. As much as I want to support you with this one, I can't in good conscious, let you throw away something you sacrificed years for, for a girl who you may or may not want to stick with."

Jim looked back at his friend and gave him a smile, patting him on the arm. "Thanks, Bones. Who knew you would give such sound relationship advice."

Jim didn't miss his CMO's eyes flit to the side to gaze at a pretty blond that sat with a group of small children; possibly the school marm. Jim smiled wide and shook his head and clapped Bones on the back as he walked past.

You walked up to Jim as he sauntered up to you. He gave you a wide smile that you returned.

"Hi," he whispered.

"Hi."

"Looks like we about have this one all finished. How goes the food storage?"

You looked behind you and pointed to the smaller of the four finished buildings, the supply and food storage, where the sheriff was standing guard. It stood next to the church house, school building and mayor/sheriff's office, the small town slowly coming to life.

"The people are hungry but we have enough to last us while we wait to harvest next month." You turn back to him and sigh. "Trick is to keep people from picking food too early and getting sick or letting them get to the stored food and stuff themselves."

Jim chuckled. "Looks like we just have to work a bit harder. How are you holding up?"

You looked down at your feet wiggling your toes in your too big shoes as a blush dusted your cheeks at his worried tone. "I'm fine. Just glad we have the beginnings of a town and a place to sleep."