Change - Chekov

flawless_hufflepuff gave me the idea for this!

In this one you take Salia's place, taking place after the Kirk chapters "Get Off". Never done a branch off with a side character of my own before. So, forgive me if it's a bit out of sorts.

You shot up from your bed, breathing hard as sweat made your new clothes stick to your thin body. Even after being freed from that horrid ship three weeks ago, you still had nightmares of the wardens coming in and threating to beat you and your brother. You took a deep breath to calm down as you laid back down. Marci made cute sleeping noises as he rested in the bed above you. You let out a long breath as a few tears escaped out the corner of your eyes.

Despite being constantly reminded of your safety aboard the Enterprise and how you and your brother will never have to endure such conditions again, you still felt apprehensive about being here. Especially with the captain and your savior off the ship for some mandatory meeting of some sort.

But at least Chekov was here.

Pavel was one person you knew to trust. The doctor too, but he wasn't one for silly or meaningless conversations. Plus, he was old enough to be your father. You and Pavel were somewhat closer in age, though he was older. But he didn't treat you like a little child, which you appreciated more than you could say.

After your tears dried you sat up and looked around. It was still "night time", or so your bedside screen said, so you figured it would be safe enough to walk around and visit the arboretum. You found that being around real plants and smelling clean earth made you feel much better about your new situation. Sometimes Pavel would be there, pretending he wasn't watching you, keeping an eye on you like the captain asked him to. Though part of you hoped he was there because he wanted to, not because he was ordered.

You took a deep breath and smiled as you entered the plant heavy room. Every color imaginable dotted the room, mist sprays giving the place an early morning foggy look. You felt right at home. Perhaps after some time and you were allowed to go back to Earth, you would be able to make a garden of your own. With Marci, of course. You'd invite Chekov over and he could tell you all about his travels while you worked outside.

You walked around with a pleased smile on your face as you examined and learned more about each plant. The mist sprays would turn on and off periodically so you weren't aware how sopping wet you were. You were just happy to have your mind elsewhere for the time being. That being said you didn't hear the door to the room slid open and the sound of someone entering.

"(Y/n)! There you are. We were looking everywhere for you."

You turned with a jump and wide eyes as you came face to face with Chekov. You blushed, looking down sheepishly. You listened as he alerted the others who were searching that he found you.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't go back to sleep."

You felt a hand on your arm and a sudden intake of breath, causing you to look up. Chekov looked worried as both hands reached up to rub your arm lightly.

"You are freezing. Let's get you out of here and into some dryer clothes."

You nodded, annoyed that he probably was ordered to take care of you again. "Thank you but I'd like to say here please."

Chekov paused. "But you are drenched from the spray and your lips are nearly blue."

You shrugged, lifting your chin slightly. "I'm sure the captain can give you something else to worry over as I continue to enjoy myself away from a room full of night mares. Thank you, Chekov but I can take care of myself." You turned back to the flowers, your face red with masked shame. You didn't mean to come off so rude. As nice as it was to be looked over and cared for, you didn't want to be a charity case.