Fear Not - Spock

Devil_Flash I liked writing this one a lot. Thanks for the idea and I hope you enjoy!

You stood off to the side as you watched Amanda talk to Spock before he went to stand before the council. You tried to keep your emotions in check but since meeting Spock at such a young age, you found yourself acting a bit humanlike. Not that you found anything wrong with that.

Amanda glanced at you and you almost missed her small knowing smile before she turned back to Spock, nodding her head to you. You already feel a blush warm the tip of your ears as Spock said goodbye to his mother then made his way over to you. Something pulled at your heart, making it almost hard to breathe.

Suddenly, as Spock walked the somewhat large distance, he became young again and you had to blink a couple of times to get an old memory out of your head. The first time you ever saw Spock the two of you were adolescents and you were being bullied. Relentlessly. You were accepted into the Vulcan Science Academy and that was an amazing feat for you not only for being a female but for being so young an age. Your proclivity with marine animals made you ideal in upcoming research.

You were finished with class at the normal school and was about to head to the Science Academy when four upperclassmen came and practically knocked you over. You cowered on the ground as they insulted you and threw your school supplies at you. One of your books hit your head hard and your vision blurred. But the bullies suddenly stopped and you opened your eyes to see who you later learned was Spock walking toward them, his face full of determination and what you assumed was anger. Your memory was spotty at best after that but the image of everything blurred but Spock stuck with you since then.

He had taken you to the infirmary and that was where your bond of friendship bloomed.

Spock stood but an arm's length away from you, taking in your beauty and poise. He remembered the day he met you so clearly, never regretting the blows he gave those upperclassmen or the suspension due to emotion that he received.

You hair glinted in the evening sunlight piercing through the parted hall curtains. Your eyes shown with pride and something else he could not place as you stared up at him. Like so many times before Spock was tempted to reach out and stroke your soft cheek or pull you to him in a warming embrace. But, like many times before, he stayed his urges only to settle with a small smile as he spoke your nickname with practiced raillery.

"Otter."

His heart soared at the smile it procured.

"Now, I thought you were done with such childish names." You smiled up at him, not at all bothered at hearing your old nickname again.

Spock stepped closer, the edges of his lips pulling up just slightly. "Forgive me, I could not help it seeing you looking so childish, eager to see off your friend and school competition."

You let out a gasp and feigned shock as you stepped closer, the toes of your slippers almost touchings his boots. "I'll have you know I am more than eager to see you off. I am ecstatic. I will finally be the one to best Professor Vic'na at chess now that you will not be there to take the glory from me."

Spock's smile grew. "I do seem to remember you cheated last time."

"I was distraught! You had distracted me and took my queen. It was entirely unfair."

"Distraught?" Spock clucked his tongue taking half a step forward, his face alarmingly close. "Showing emotion; how very unVulcan of you."

You smirked, staying perfectly still. "I learned from the best."