Photograph 55: Respect-Protect-Love

(Warning: If you're reading Little Monster, this chapter has mega spoilers!!!)

-Nick's POV-
~13 years ago~
It was summer, right around the time that the spring flowers were still around, when we met.
Me and Gracey were in the front of the pack house, playing with one of those big bouncy balls while our mother watched and father stayed in his studies. At this time, I respected the old bastard. The other pups disliked me and Gracey, at this point in my life I'm sure it's because we pushed everyone away. Who else did we need but ourselves?
Those thoughts left as soon as it happened. An old rusty red truck had come, pulling into the driveway. It was that old woman, with hair the same color as her car. She always came and hung out with mother, sometimes she'd bring another woman, a (H/C) who said to have attended Highschool with our parents. This day, though, she brought a mini version of that woman.
A (H/C) girl a year younger than me and Gracey. Her hair was pulled into matching pigtails, and her overalls were too big on her and obviously hand-me-downs. What really caught our eyes was the mud that was caked on her knees and hands.
"This is Y/N L/N, treat her with respect, ok?" Mom smiled at the three of us, before taking that old woman, Y/N's Nana, into the house.
Respect her? This was a threat to me! She had instantly gotten along with Gracey, the one who'd talk to no one but me, Mom, and her stuffed starfish.
Being a normal, pissed off 6-year-old, I pushed the girl into a mud puddle. I expected her to cry, or to immediately get angry at me. It was the normal response that the others had. Instead, she pulled me in beside her and laughed.
She was a weirdo, I made her aware of that every time I saw her. But for some reason, I could never find her being able to cry or get angry. Just smile.

~1 year ago~
"Thank you for meeting with us, I apologize about the others. I'm still trying to get used to them myself." The white haired female said, holding out her hand as I shook it firmly,
"It's fine, they'll be powerful allies, I'm sure." I told her.
Roselign Clinton* is the last member of the Clinton family, the first Werewolf monarchy. From what she's told me, her uncle, our current king, had killed her parents and framed her. After being summoned here by Shi, a fallen angel, I had no choice but to seek out what's going on.
"Take this, and I'll contact you when we need your assistance." Roselign said as she handed me a small bag.
I nodded, then tensed as I felt a pain in my chest. "I apologize for my haste, but I have to get going." I bowed, before quickly rushing off.
Y/N, I'm coming!

~11 years ago~
I sighed as I walked down the school hallway with Gracey during lunch, rolling my eyes as I listened to her cheerfully drone on about Y/N.
Before I could tell her to shut up, I was stopped by a pain in my chest. As if my heart was on fire.
"Huh? Nicky?" Gracey looked at me in concern, and that's when we heard it.
A bunch of shouting and a soft whimper. Sharing a stare, we both followed the noise. Upon what we saw, my pain turned to raw anger.
Y/N was being cornered by three 5th grader males. One was pulling at her braids with a sinister smirk. I knew him as Troy Leslie, the Beta's son who was sent to military school during his 7th grade year.
"Who are you supposed to be anyways?! You're no one special, just a tiny brat!"
All I saw was red when I saw her crying for the first time, and before I knew it, I had Troy knocked out at my feet and his friends had begun to run away in fear. I stood completely frozen when I felt two hands on my wolffish ears, which must've popped up in my anger.
"You got dog ears, Nicky." I relaxed at hearing Y/N's giggles, and turned to look her. I stared at her in sympathy as I gazed at her tear stained cheeks.
No, I wasn't going to respect her at all. I was going to protect this little girl, I promised myself.

~1 Week Ago~
I was reading over the pack house bills when something buzzed at the end of my desk.
Getting annoyed by the consistency of the sound, I scrambled through the endless amount of paperwork, until I came across the bag. Pulling out a disk like object, I stared at it confused. Only to jump back as a blue hologram came up.
It showed some unknown girl, staring at me with a glare. "Can you see me?" The girl asked.
"Yes?" I questioned back, not really sure what was going on.
Her expression quickly changed to one of delight. How confusing. "Great! Tsuki-Sama, you can speak now!" She chirped. Suddenly the image changed to Roselign Clinton.
"Alpha Johnston, sorry about that, I've never used one of these before." She smiled awkwardly.
"What are these?" I asked, picking up the disk.
"Hologram projectors, from 2070."
"What?!" I looked at the blue image in shock. "How'd you get this?!" I asked.
"I know a time traveler*." Roselign stated.
I whistled lowly. "You really do have some powerful allies."
Roselign smiled and nodded. "You don't know the half of it." She laughed. "Though what I called you for. I'll be coming to visit your home in two weeks."
"Huh?! Really!?" The party will be one week from now. I bitterly thought, knowing it'd take the week after to have everything cleaned.
"A few of the Heavens Keys are in America. That I know of, one is going to be in New York. The other-"
"Is here?" I asked, looking at her unsure.
"The Kiba* Key is said to be guarded by a goddess. Her last whereabouts are in your location. If we're lucky, it'll be in the ground somewhere." Roselign explained to me.
"And if we're unlucky?" I wanted to know my possible options.
Roselign looked at me with an expression of empathy. "Someone will be possessed by the goddess and we'll have to terminate."
Hesitantly, I nodded.