Imagine #29: Damon

Imagine breaking up with Damon and he decides to turn off his humanity

Damon had done something he thought he would never do again, something he vowed to never try again and possibly the worst decision a vampire could ever make: he turned off his humanity. When you two broke up, his entire world crumbled to pieces. You were the one who helped him overcome difficult times, but without you, he felt empty and lonely. You meant so much to him and losing you obviously had a huge impact on him. Before he met you, his life had no purpose, but then everything changed when you moved to Mystic Falls. You managed to bring out the best in him by simply giving him all your love.

You were different from everyone that surrounded him. You learned to accept him despite his flaws and you looked past all the mistakes he had committed. He fell hard for you, and without even realizing it, he became a better person. Love had transformed him. 

Indeed, you were the ray of sunshine in his life, but after you left him, his happiness quickly faded, and Damon couldn't handle it. He was on the edge and he wanted the pain to be gone. He needed to escape reality. Turning off his humanity was the only solution he could think of. He didn't even consider the outcome of his decision, and now, he was ripping heads off.

You were the only one who would be able to 'save' him. You were his emotional trigger. 

That is why Stefan decided to call you the moment he found out that Damon had turned off his humanity. He desperately needed your help.

Even if things didn't work out in your relationship with Damon, you still loved him and cared about him. When you heard the terrible news, you knew you had to do something. 

"So, what do we do?" You asked Stefan through the phone.

"You need to talk to him and try to reason with him."Stefan answered.

"He won't listen to anything I say. We broke up and he probably hates me now."

"You're wrong. He loves you, Y/N, more than anything. And you're the only one who understands him. He might have flipped the switch off, but I believe there's still a part of him that cares about you."

"Are you sure about this?" You sighed.

"Yes. It's the only solution we have."

"Alright then. Let's do this."

You left Damon a million of messages and you both looked everywhere in the town, but you couldn't find him. 

"He's hiding somewhere. He probably doesn't want to see us." You said as you walked through the woods with Stefan.

You took one step forward, but your foot slipped on something, causing you to fall. You looked down and gasped in complete shock as you saw a corpse on the ground and blood spattered everywhere.

"Oh my god." You mumbled to yourself.

"He's definitely here." Stefan stated.

Just as he pronounced those words, you heard a shrill scream in the distance. 

You exchanged worried looks and immediately started running straight ahead of you. You stopped dead in your tracks as you bumped into Damon. He was holding a girl and feeding on her.

"Damon, stop it, please!" You yelled.

He looked up, blood trickling down his chin, and his lips instantly curled up into his usual smirk when his gaze fell upon you. 

"Oh great. My ex-girlfriend and my annoying brother are here, just what I needed! Don't you see you're ruining my fun?"

"This isn't you." You breathed out.

He broke into hysterical laughter, and you stared at him in utter confusion.

"I've always been that way. This is who I am." He declared.

"That's not true! There must be some humanity left in you!" Stefan shouted.

"Would I do this if I still had humanity left in me?" Damon asked.

He bore his fangs and sank them once more into the flesh of the poor girl he had under his grip. His hunger grew bigger each time his tongue made contact with her blood. She screamed at the top of her lungs and fought back, but Damon wouldn't let her go.

You watched as he eagerly fed on her, and you begged him to stop. Her body was weakening, her face turning pale, and she slowly started to lose consciousness.

"Damon! Please! Don't do this!" You cried out.

Stefan jumped to his feet and went to stop him, but before he could, Damon snapped his neck in one fluid motion. It all happened so fast that you barely had the time to blink. Within seconds, he killed the innocent girl and put his own sibling into the state of unconsciousness.

Anyone who would've witnessed this horrific scene would run, but you decided not to. You stayed because you still had hope for him.

"This isn't the Damon I know!" You spat.

"Well, the Damon you know is gone and he's not coming back."

"I don't believe that! I know he's still in there, somewhere."

He let out a groan and shoved you against a tree, his face inches away from yours. You remained completely silent as he unveiled his fangs and listened to your heartbeat. He slowly leaned in, ready to bite you and drain every single drop of blood from your body, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. A part of him still cared about you as much as he hated to admit it.

He gazed intently into your eyes for a second before quickly turning his back on you, ashamed and defeated. He could've easily ripped you apart, but he chose not to. His feelings for you were too strong, and he could never dare to hurt you. You were his weakness.

You took a deep breath and hesitantly walked towards him. You placed your hand on his shoulder, and his entire body instantly shivered under your touch. 

"Damon, just know that I still love you and I never stopped loving you." You whispered.

His heart raced as he closed his eyes, letting all his emotions and feelings sink in.

He finally spun around, facing you, and stared at you in disbelief, tears brimming his eyes.

"I love you too."