Wartortle

Evening was just about to set when Squirtle came up and water gun you in the face. You laughed and blocked it with a lily pad from the lake you were in. "Stop that Squirtle! It tickles!"

Squirtle laughed and swam over too you, face fully of brightness and cheer. "Just wait until I evolve into Wartortle! My water gun will be twice the power than that water gun!"

You smiled and swam over to him, grabbing onto his shoulders so you wouldn't sink into the water. "Why do you want to evolve so badly? Don't you like the way you are?"

"Well (y/n) you're not a pokemon so you wouldn't understand. When we evolve we become stronger so we can not only protect ourselves, but the people and pokemon we love as well. That's why I want to evolve and become stronger, for you."

A blush worked its way into your cheek, but the water covered up the rosy beauty. "R-Really? How sweet of you."

"Yup!" Squirtle let out another water gun as the evening sun caught it perfectly.

It glowed a lovely orange, fire red of passion. Sometimes the memory would come randomly in your dreams, and you were always grateful for that. The scene never left your mind to this day... and it never would...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Screaming woke you up as you gasped and rolled out of bed, completely confused and on high alert for who or what made the sound. You grabbed your baseball bat, just to be safe, before entering into the living room.

The sounds were coming from Squirtle's room as you froze in horror. What was the thief doing to him?! You rushes over and begun to swing the bat at the person, but you stopped in shock.

Squirtle... or Wartortle... was freaking out and making the gasping sounds. He still didn't seem to notice you as he was crying over his new form. He was feeling the weird flippers at the side of his head, pure look of horror on his cute face.

"What is this?!" Wartortle exclaimed in pure shock, his voice slightly deeper from the new evolution.

"Wartortle?" You asked, trying to get use to the new name.

He jumped and looked at you, sadness clearly written all over his face. "(y/n) I evolved like I wanted too... but what are these?!" He pointed at the flipper like ears he had. "They look weird on me!"

Through the panic you managed to laugh at the tension of the air. "You're screaming at your new ears? Are they ears?"

"There flippers to help drift in the water better. It's cool and all... but why did it have to be on the sides of my head..."

Anime tears rolled from his eyes as you patted his shoulder. "There, there. Didn't you know this was going to happen to you when you evolved?"

"No! I wanted it to be a surprise! I've seen Blastoise, but not Wartortles before. It's strange... now I have to live with this for who know? Two years? Oh Arceus... please don't let it be three!"

You rolled your eye and lightly tugged at them. "You're being too dramatic over this silly new look. Look on the bright side. Once you evolve into Blastoise you'll have a powerful water gun than before."

Wartortle's held a quick show of surprise. "You... you... you remember that promise? It was long ago... five years ago I believe."

"How could I forget? That was the moment of true that you wanted to train to be the very best. I helped you through, and now that you're a Wartortle, it'll be a lot easier to defend me in tougher situations."

Wartortle smirked and grabbed your hand. "What are you waiting for? Let's go outside and test the new and improved water gun!"

With an eager heart you let him guide you to the pool outside and stood near the edge. Wartortle braced his back, spaced his legs, and begun to squirt out water.

The water gun was truly magnificent. The sun was at high noon so the colors of the rainbow flashed and gleamed perfectly off of it. Wartortle finished and shyly rubbed the back of his neck. "How was that?"

You smiled and gave him a thumbs up. "That was perfect! Your promise really did come true after all, Wartortle."

"I guess it did. Want to play in the pool?"

"But I'm not-" Wartortle pushed you in before you could finish.

You came up for and glared at him. "Oh... that is it!"

A water gun was nearby as both Wartortle and you were in a battle against water. Who would win? Who may ever know?