Swampert

Grief was the only emotion you could hold at the moment. Swampert and you have been a couple for two years, got married a year later; happily enjoying life and all it could offer. But... that's not the part you were distressed about. Swampert and you have been thinking about having a child. After four times you couldn't get pregnant. Coming back from the doctor... they told you your womb wasn't able to contain a child.

Swampert didn't know about this yet since you went alone to the doctors. He had to work part time on his day off, but you were terrified to tell him the truth. Agony pounded inside your heart as you walked near the pond Swampert and you went too.

Right then and there you cried, let your heart wail the agony you couldn't unleash back in the doctor's office. The memory was fresh and sweet in your mind. A child's dream that seemed too far away to reach...

"(y/n)," Swampert said, bright orange eyes glittering with hope, "I can't wait for the child to be born."

You giggled and patted his head, "I'm not pregnant yet, Swampert. We don't even know if it worked."

"Well if it didn't then there's always a next time!"

"There can't be a next time..." you whispered faintly to no one. "I'm so sorry Swampert... I can't have any children... I'm a failure as a wife and never-to-be mother..."

Swampert rested his head on your stomach while you were reading, poking at your tummy. You blushed and looked at him. "Why are you poking my stomach?"

He smiled at you while continuing to poke your stomach, "seeing if our child has come yet. But, nope, I don't feel a bump."

You rolled your eyes at and lightly smacked the top of his head with your book. "Will you quit it? I didn't get pregnant the first time, but I'm sure after tonight it will work."

"I lied to you. After the third time I wasn't sure anymore... but now I've been told to my face..."

You cut yourself off as a horrible sob cut into your throat. A sob powerful enough to cut off air. Life didn't seem fair to you have this, after all you've been through. You wailed and sobbed on the ground, half screaming and half crying. You closed your eyes and leaned against the nearest tree, resting your head back, thinking whatever will come your way can end your life then and there. After a while of crying you didn't realize you were curled up on the ground, almost evening settling in. 

A hand stroked the side of your head as you jumped, looking up and soon relaxing it was your husband, Swampert. Your head was resting on his lap while your body was curled on the ground, the way a child slept after a nightmare.

Swampert sighed and pulled you up, having you look him in the eye. "Don't ever scare me. I panicked when you weren't at the house as you said you'd be. Luckily I can down here before I could start a search party."

Pain bubbled inside as whimpers came out. "Swampert... I can't have children... the doctor told me my womb can't handle a child..."

He froze in shock, but instead of yelling at you, he hugged you close to him. You didn't realize how cold you were against the heat pulsing from his body. You moaned in pain from the pounding headache as Swampert didn't say anything and stroked your hair back, gently as a feathers touch.

After you were done Swampert spoke next to your ear, tickling it with his breath. "(y/n) it's okay. I understand you can't bare our children."

"Y-You don't understand... I lied to you thinking we could have some! That was our first wish getting married!"

"(y/n)," Swampert's voice became tighter, telling you to be quiet, "if a wish didn't come true, then it wasn't ever meant to be. Yes, it's hurt me inside we can't have children, but I'd rather have you happy and healthy without you going through surgeries. We can always adopt if you want, but if Arceus made your womb unable to have a child, then your destiny means it wasn't to be."

"Please," he hugged you, the fins at the side of his neck twitching. A storm was coming. "Be the happy wife I know and love. I won't be able to fill the hold a child can gift you, but I will help scar over the pain with love."

You laughed, more like croaked since your throat was dying for water. "Thank you, Swampert. You have no idea how happy you've made me just now..."

Swampert smiled and lifted you up bridal-style. He was right, and you still both carried on your days with joy, sadness, and courage a married couple lived for and died.